Return to [ 00 | June | 2003 ]

Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 22:34:51 GMT
From: waynec@linkline.com
Subject: Re: SCOUG-Help: Re: Wayne's ide... IMPORTANT

Steven Levine writes:

> at 01:42 AM, waynec@linkline.com said:
>
>>OK, I now at least have the bios and the PQmagic ver 5 ptedit program
>>agreeing on the head and sector counts.
>
> For posterity, what are the head and sector counts that they agree on? :-)

IDE Primary Master: "Auto"
Access Mode: "LBA" (this may be my original mistake)

yields...

Capacity: 40018 mb
Cylinder: 4865
Head: 255
Precomp: 0
Landing Zone: 19157
Sector: 63

>>So the partition formatting may have been the problem with the diskettes
>>prior to your recent changes, and possibly because of the bios/PQmagic
>>differences on the drive geometry.
>
> Possibly. I'm a bit surprised that this prevent Warp from booting, but I
> had a plan to handle this in case it did.
>
> The first next thing is to tell use if you needed to do any of the other
> driver replacements I described in the other thread.
>
> FWIW, it's not a good idea to generate multiple subject threads for the
> same problem. It makes it harder to review history.

I'm sorry, Steven, but now I've lost track... if you mean did I alter the
config.sys and the snoop.lst on the replacement diskettes with your changes:
Yes, I made those changes (and only those changes) to the replacement
diskette 1 that I downloaded from the IBM DD Pak site.

> The next next thing is to update the install diskettes with the most
> recent versions of:
>
> IBM1S506.ADD
> OS2CDROM.DMD
> OS2DASD.DMD
> IBMIDECD.FLT
>
> Save copies of the orginals, just in case. Make sure you can still boot.

I've been using those files on my P2, so they should already be on the AMD.

These are the dates on the replacement diskette 1:

> IBM1S506.ADD 4/21/2001 (my P2 version dated 6/16/2000)
> OS2CDROM.DMD 8/26/1996 (my P2 version dated 5/23/200, larger size)
> OS2DASD.DMD 9/13/2000 (P2 version dated 9/23/2000, same size)
> IBMIDECD.FLT 7/19/2000 (P2 version dated 6/16/2000, same size

So it appeared to me I only needed to update os2cdrom.dmd on the diskette,
and I've now done that.

> The next next thing is to get back some space on the diskettes. REM out
> the "extra" CD-ROM filter drivers:
>
> basedev=hitcds1.flt
> basedev=neccds1.flt
> basedev=sonycds1.flt
> basedev=toshcds1.flt
>
> If you happen to need one of these, it will be obvious when you test boot.
> If you do, un-REM the required driver.

Done.

> Once all this works, you can start deleting the REM'ed drivers from the
> diskette. There's no hurry to do this, but this will free up space that
> can be better used for other purposes. I'm pretty sure your SCSI drive
> will be invisible to the boot diskettes, so we will need to add a driver.
> We might also want to switch to DANIS506. In some situations, it will
> perform better than IBM1S506. If you want to test DANIS506 before trying
> to bring the system into production, let me know. Switching later should
> be no problem either.
>
> Post copies of your final snoop.lst and config.sys here.

Config.sys:

rem config.sys - for Wayne - with excess drivers disabled
rem Sat May 31 22:26:40 PDT 2003 SHL
buffers=32
iopl=yes
memman=swap,delayswap
protshell=sysinst1.exe
set os2_shell=sysinst2.exe
diskcache=D2,LW
protectonly=yes
libpath=.;\;\os2\dll;\os2\install;
ifs=hpfs.ifs /c:64
pauseonerror=no
codepage=850
devinfo=kbd,us,keyboard.dcp
devinfo=scr,ega,vtbl850.dcp
device=\dos.sys
device=\mouse.sys
set path=\;\os2;\os2\system;\os2\install
set dpath=\;\os2;\os2\system;\os2\install
set keys=on
set copyfromfloppy=1
basedev=ibmkbd.sys
basedev=ibm1flpy.add
basedev=ibm1s506.add /v
rem basedev=danis506.add /v
rem basedev=ibm2flpy.add
rem basedev=ibm2adsk.add
rem basedev=ibm2scsi.add
rem basedev=ibmint13.i13
basedev=os2dasd.dmd
device=\testcfg.sys
basedev=xdfloppy.flt

set os2_shell=cdinst.exe
set saveconnect=1
set cdrominst=1
ifs=cdfs.ifs /q
rem basedev=aha152x.add
rem basedev=aha154x.add
rem basedev=aha164x.add
rem basedev=aha174x.add
rem basedev=aic7770.add
basedev=aic7870.add
rem basedev=btscsi.add
rem basedev=fd16-700.add
rem basedev=fd8xx.add
rem basedev=fd7000ex.add
rem basedev=dpt20xx.add
rem basedev=dac960.add
rem basedev=flashpt.add
rem basedev=ipsraid.add
rem basedev=ql10os2.add
rem basedev=ql40os2.add
rem basedev=ql510.add
rem basedev=chincds1.flt
rem basedev=hitcds1.flt
rem basedev=neccds1.flt
rem basedev=sonycds1.flt
rem basedev=toshcds1.flt
basedev=ibmidecd.flt
rem basedev=tmv1scsi.add
basedev=sony535.add
rem basedev=lms206.add
rem 154569 basedev=lms205.add
basedev=mitfx001.add
basedev=sbcd2.add
rem basedev=sony31a.add
device=\os2cdrom.dmd
set os2_shell=cdboot.exe
set oemprogram=\ibminst\npconfig.exe
set exitwhendone=1

snoop.lst:

; snoop.lst - for Wayne - with excess SNPs disabled
; Sat May 31 22:26:48 PDT 2003 SHL
resrv.snp
netdet1.snp
ibmkbd.snp
ibm1flpy.snp
ibm1s506.snp
; SCSI Snoopers
;aha6360.snp
;aha154x.snp
;aha174x.snp
aic7870.snp
;ql10os2.snp
;ql40os2.snp
;ql510.snp
;ipsraid.snp
;btscsi.snp
;fd16-700.snp
;fd8xx.snp
;fd7000ex.snp
;dpt20xx.snp
;flashpt.snp
;dac960.snp
; Misc. Snoopers
pcmcia.snp
ir.snp
netdet2.snp
; CDROM Snoopers
;mitfx001.snp
;sbcd2.snp
sony31a.snp
; Audio Snoopers
;sndgalax.snp
;auddrive.snp
;jazz16.snp
;sndblast.snp
;pas16.snp
;bsaudio.snp
; Misc. Snoopers
parallel.snp
mouse.snp
serial.snp
; Note: Place additional snoopers above this line
pcibus.snp

> Now, boot from the install diskettes. One of the first screens with allow
> you to use F3 to drop to the command line. There will be a prompt on the
> status line. Drop to the command line and run fdisk. Make sure it sees
> all 40GB of the drive. Let us know the results.

OK, I reconnected the scsi cable for this, in case fdisk might see the scsi
drives...
it did not.

> Post the results of:
>
> fdisk /query:all
>
> here. Redirect the output to a work diskette.

Here 'tis:

Drive Name Partition Vtype FStype Status Start Size

1 0000003f : 3 00 0 0 38162
**BIOS:8032MB

> The plan is to use Warp's fdisk to do all partitioning, format the FAT and
> HPFS partition and then bring the SCSI drive on line.

There's where it gets tricky, because more than one partition starts
affecting my D: scsiWarp boot. Not a serious issue, because I can find a way
to move my Warp E: F: G:, etc to that drive, as they are on my P2.

If there's a way to get the ide drives to be the second string of drives,
that might be nice, but that would probably screw up my future ability to
install & boot WinXX (haven't decided which flavor yet).

Anybody running a system that can boot WinXX care to comment on their
solution to the drive letters?

But, I can worry about that later. I'll settle for one HPFS partiton on the
ide drive for the time being, and it doesn't appear there's anything to stop
me from doing that right now, using the updated install diskettes.

I'd still like to hear more on the approach you mentioned in a prior post
about how to avoid the problem I've had on the P2, after an abnormal
shutdown, with the D:\OS2|help\_cache0.db file corruption that requires me
to run chkdsk from a diskette bootup.

> At that point we will make sure we are backed up do some final driver
> tweaks. In your spare time, get a copy of jjscdrom and daniatapi from
> Hobbes. These might provide some performance improvements.

I'm already using those on the P2, so they should already be on the AMD.

Thanks, you've been a great help in getting me this far.

Wayne

Return to [ 00 | June | 2003 ]