Return to [ 08 | March | 2003 ]

Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 17:48:56 PST8
From: Martin Rosenfeld <rosenfeldmj@attbi.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Help with UPS...?

6

Thanks for offering top try to help. I have an Emerson 1500 watt UPS
that has run flawlessly for about 20 years with one change of batteries
about 8 years ago. I just stopped running a few days ago, so I figured
the batteries were dead. I just replaced them today (26V 12 AH x 4). I
took great pains to replace them per the diagram so that they are
connected correctly. The batteries sit in one huge box that plugs into
another huge box with the electronics and fans. The controls are as
follows: on-off switch; alarm on-off switch; circuit breaker reset; two
slide switches I have never changed in 20 years (norma-select and
A-B-C), and four LEDs on from (1) NormamVac, (2) Battery Operating, (3)
Check Battery Polarity, (4) Check AC Line Polarity.

I unplugged the unit from the wall, all devices from the unit, and the
battery box from the other box. I replaced the batteries, plugged
battery box to other box, plugged into wall, turned on-off switch to on.
No indication except a brief flicker of the Check AC Polarity light
whichj quickly died away. To get it to flicker again I have to wait
about 30 seconds before turning on again. I use an electrician installed
separate power circuit for my computers and have not cahnge it since the
UPS last worked correctly. The circuit as alive and the UPS's polarized
plug has been inserted as it was before. Help!

Steven Levine wrote:

>If you are responding to someone asking for help who
>may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
>REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
>
>In <3E6A8DD6.3030007@attbi.com>, on 03/08/03
> at 04:41 PM, Martin Rosenfeld said:
>

>>Can anyone help me to troubleshoot a 20 year old Emerson 1500 UPS that
>>seems to have died?
>>

>There should be enough engineering talent around here to figure out which
>part gave up the ghost. Something that old is probably mostly passive
>components.
>
>A description of what dead means to you might help. I am continually
>reminded of the scene from Congo where they discuss the levels of dead as
>understood by the forest people.
>
>Steven

Content Type: text/html

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Thanks for offering top try to help. I have an Emerson 1500 watt UPS that has run flawlessly for about 20 years with one change of batteries about 8 years ago. I just stopped running a few days ago, so I figured the batteries were dead. I just replaced them today (26V 12 AH x 4). I took great pains to replace them per the diagram so that they are connected correctly. The batteries sit in one huge box that plugs into another huge box with the electronics and fans. The controls are as follows: on-off switch; alarm on-off switch; circuit breaker reset; two slide switches I have never changed in 20 years (norma-select and A-B-C), and four LEDs on from (1) NormamVac, (2) Battery Operating, (3) Check Battery Polarity, (4) Check AC Line Polarity.