Return to [ 14 | November | 2003 ]

Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 13:16:52 PST8
From: "Mark D. Overholser" <os2@markoverholser.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: Is this an MS-IE ONLY thing ?

J. R. Fox wrote:
> If you are responding to someone asking for help who
> may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
> REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
>

>> The dialog box offers me only an HTML d/l of the links
>> page. Same deal with Righ-Mouse-click, for Save Target As.
>

> Mark replied to me:
>

>>I see the same gibberish.. It apears that the RAR "MIME TYPE" is not
>>setup (Using Mozilla 1.5 Win32 & OS/2).
>

> Assuming it can be enabled, what need one do in order to set this up ?

Well, there is a couple of things that need to be done, and even then,
you might not be able to do anything.

My total understanding is limited, but when a WWW server is set up, the
various files it "serves" are identified with a file type, that is sent
with the file, so that the individual WWW Browser can decide what needs
to be done with the file when it reaches your PC. I guess that MIME
type and File Type are two different things, but your e-mail messages
will have similar File Type identifiers

In your Browser window, click on the Menu Item "Edit", then select at
the bottom of the Pop-Up Menu, "Preferences". On my Child Window that
comes up, the Default Category is "Navigator", and the Category we are
interested in. Click on the "Helper Applications" item under the
"Navigator" Category. Scroll Down the list until you reach the File
Types "application/x-zip-compressed" and "application/zip". (I have
these, I don't know if they are a Standard part of Mozilla, or if I have
added them in) My "zip" file types say to "DownLoad the File", so when
I click on a ZIP File on a WWW page, I get a Dialog Box that lets me
choice where I SAVE on DISK my File. This only works if the HTTP server
Identifys the ZIP file as "application/x-zip-compressed" or
"application/zip". If the HTTP server Identifys the ZIP FILE as some
other "file type", especially one that is handled by Mozilla itself, or
by a Mozilla Plug In (Acrobat Plug in comes to mind), then you will see
you file (In your Case a RAR file) displayed on the Browser Windows like
an HTML or JPG/JPEG file.

For an idea of what the HTTP server might have listed for a File Type,
go to this page:
<http://www.rararchiver.com/download.html>

Click on one of the "rar" file links on the bottom of the page in the
"Other Plug-ins and Add-ons" section, like "RAR Language files" or "Rar
file conversion utility"

My Mozilla give a Dialog box which states (after clicking on the "RAR
Language files" link)

"
The file "rarlng.rar" is of type application/x-rar-compressed, and
Mozilla does not know how to handle this file type. This file is
located at:

http://files10.rarlab.com/rar/

What should Mozilla do with this file?

Open it with the default application

Open it with ___________________________________

X Save it to disk

Always perform this action when handling files of the type

[ OK ] [ Cancel ]
"

If I check the "Always perform this action when handling files of the
type" and Download the File, a new entry in the "Helper Applications"
with File Type, "application/x-rar-compressed" is now listed.

FWIIW, The Simtel site does not seem to send a
"application/x-rar-compressed" file type, with the RAR File you pointed
out. If you could identify what File Type is being sent, it might be
for HTM or HTML, which means that it would be just about impossible to
get Simtel's File Download redirection to default to DownLoad.

Sorry this is so long..

Return to [ 14 | November | 2003 ]