Return to [ 24 | November | 2003 ]

Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 10:56:19 PST8
From: waynec@linkline.com
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Wierd FDISK/PQmagic problem

I've combined two replies to Steven here:

Steven Levine writes:

> In <20031122074358.11395.qmail@bjork.linkline.com>, on 11/21/03
> at 11:44 PM, waynec@linkline.com said:
>

>>I have a puzzle. I am trying to re-establish my boot manager on a mixed
>>ide/scsi system after some physical changes.
>
> Like a new MB or something that would effect how the BIOS operates?

No, the motherboard remains the same, just moved the u160 scsi adapter to a
different PCI slot and altered the (two) drive addresses on it from 4 & 7,
to 2 & 4.

> Since you are running fdisk, I'll assume you are still running Warp4 on
> this box.

Yes, Warp4 fp15 with dani drivers and a few upgrades, including FAT32
(I didn't add fat32 to the Warp boot diskettes, but when I boot them, a
FAT32 data partition does show up on FDISK... it is the only partition on
the second scsi drive).

>>PQmagic run from diskettes doesn't show my two scsi hard drives. Before
>>the changes it used to show one of them, now it doesn't show either one;
>>it only shows the ide drive, as disk 1.
>
> This possibly a BIOS issue or a SCSI configuration issue. BIOS is more
> likely since OS/2 can see the drive.

BIOS? Motherboard or u160 adapter? As I said, PQmagic used to see the first
scsi drive before I moved the u160 to a different PCI slot and changed the
drive addresses on the adapter. And, WinXP sees the scsi drives.

>>Although I can see all three drives with FDISK, and FDISK does see all
>>the partitions correctly (Warp booted from diskettes), it shows the
>>first scsi drive as disk 1, rather than the ide drive (which it shows as
>>disk 3).
>
> It sounds like you loaded the SCSI ADD driver before the IDE driver.

You're right!!! Don't know why I didn't think of that... switched the
basedev statements in config.sys on the boot diskettes and now FDISK shows
the drives in proper order (but still gives me that warning about the first
scsi drive partition possible mapping error). I still can't add my Warp
partition to the boot manager, but that may be because of the warning
message, or because of the boot manager being on the wrong drive now... I
didn't look closely enough or can't remember... I need to check further
after I send this email. I'll post more later.

>>Neither of those utilities will allow me to properly configure the boot
>>manager partition. I've looked at partition codes and they all seem OK.
>
> Which drive do you want to contain BM?

It isn't important to me, either the first scsi or the first ide drive. I
suspect it's currently on the ide drive, and I think I used PQmagic back in
the spring to add bootable partitions to boot manager; this time I can't
because PQmagic isn't seeing the scsi drives. See my last reply above, I'll
look at it, refresh my memory, and get back to you (old age is a terrible
thing).

>>controller in a higher PCI slot, it's drive showed up ahead of the u160
>>drives when using FDISK... wasn't a problem using DriveCopy CD boot, but
>>could be in future if I needed to boot from a u160 hard drive.
>
> As long as you understand the interactions, this can all be handled. I've
> had working setups where the SCSI HBA with the boot drive was not the
> first SCSI HBA the BIOS initialized.

But, but, ...obviously I DON'T understand the interactions.

>>But, the boot manager configuration now only shows the WinXP partition, I
>> cannot boot Warp. I expected that might happen since I changed the
>>physical PCI address of the scsi adapter by moving it, and the drive
>>addresses by re-jumpering them. The question is how to fix boot manager.
>
> Are you sure PM didn't farkle the partition type from 5 to F, or do you
> run have a version of os2dasd that supports this?

I think I changed all partition codes to codes that Warp understands (at
least I tried to do that), and I may have a version of os2dasd that supports
it anyway (remember all those trials and tribulations I went through last
May/June creating updated boot diskettes?).... the version I have on the
boot diskettes is dated 9/6/02 and is 40,956 bytes.

>>Anybody have any ideas for me???? What is the FDISK meaning of "active",
>>should the boot manager partition be set active or is it active by
>>definition?
>
> It needs to be set active. If the XP partition is marked active, you are
> not even using BM to boot XP.

No, I can see the boot manager screen, no mistake there, says "Boot Manager"
at the top.

Steven Levine writes:

> In <20031123210231.2465.qmail@bjork.linkline.com>, on 11/23/03
> at 01:02 PM, waynec@linkline.com said:
>
>>As I stated before, all was working fine (except that PQmagic only saw
>>the first of the two scsi drives) until I moved the u160 scsi adapter to
>>a different PCI slot, and changed the jumpered addresses on the two scsi
>> drives, from 5 & 7, to 2 & 4. Those scsi changes look fine when I run
>>the scsi adapter utilities by entering the adapter bios during bootup.
>
> It sounds like you are mixing and matching driver versions.

???? What drivers? I have PQmagic booted from diskettes, same ones I used
before I moved the scsi adapter and re-jumpered the scsi drive addresses.

> When you boot with the Warp4 boot diskettes, are all the drive letters
> correct?

They are now, since I changed the order of the basedev statements.

> What's the result of dfsee's:
>
> dfsquery.cmd

I have not been a dfsee user, but I do have it in a fat16 folder, so I'll
attempt to use it from the booted Warp diskettes and post the results (if I
can figure out how to print the output to a disk file to save it).

>>I am especially desirous of understanding why FDISK sees the scsi drives
>>first, before the ide drive (when bios is set to boot from the ide
>>drive), and why PQmagic now doesn't see either of the two scsi drives!
>

> I can only guess that your versions of PQM are old enough to be broken for
> your modern hardware.

Well, maybe... my reservation is that PQM showed one of the scsi drives
before the scsi card was moved.

Thanks for the help, Steven, I'll work on answers for the boot manager
questions I wasn't able to answer above, and I'll see if I can run dfsee...
seems like part of the answer may be to find out why FDISK gives that
warning message about partition mapping.

Wayne

Return to [ 24 | November | 2003 ]