Return to [ 10 | October | 2003 ]

Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 00:43:21 PDT7
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Java - FAQ, HowTo, OS/2 Java for Dummies?

In <3F857CF9.8020208@san.rr.com>, on 10/09/03
at 10:19 PM, Tom Brown said:

>I am confused by the various versions of Java: 1.18, 1.30, 1.31,
>GoldenCode 1.41, and Innotek 1.42.

They are all just versions of the same application. It's as if you
installed Smartsuite 1.0, 1.1, 1.6, 1.7 and 1.7.1 on your system. Like
Smartsuite, newer versions of Java are, in general, capable of working
with files (i.e. programs) written for older versions of Java. Since
there may be specific exceptions, folks often keep older java versions
around, just in case.

>Is there a FAQ or HowTo somewhere that lays it out for the OS/2-eCS Java
>Dummy?

There're lots of FAQ's. Java is a big system and a lot more than just a
browser. What is it you really want to know?

>On my current eCS 1.03 system, CONFIG.SYS contains:
>LIBPATH= ...;F:\java131\JRE\DLL;F:\JAVA11\DLL;
>SET PATH=...;F:\JAVA131\JRE\BIN;F:\JAVA131\BIN;F:\JAVA11\BIN; SET
>CLASSPATH=F:\IBMGSK\CLASSES\SRIP.JAR;F:\IBMGSK\CLASSES\SGUIDE.ZIP;
> F:\IBMGSK\CLASSES\CSSGKEY.JAR;F:\JAVA11\LIB\SecMa.jar;
> F:\java11\Swing\swingall.jar;F:\java11\lib\classes.zip;.\.;
> F:\OS2\JAVAAPPS\LVMGUI.ZIP;F:\TCPIP\java;
> F:\OS2\JAVAAPPS\LVMGUI.ZIP;f:\java11\lib\comm.jar;
>SET SWING_HOME=F:\java11\Swing
>SET JAVA_HIGH_MEMORY=1
>SET INCLUDE=F:\JAVA131\INCLUDE;
>SET LIB=F:\JAVA131\LIB;

>Also:
>[I:\TMP\down]java -fullversion
>java full version "J2RE 1.3.1 IBM build co131-20020710"

This means that you have an older version of 1.3.1 set as your default
java. The PATH setting controls this for command line apps. You can
override the default by specifying a full path to java.exe or jre.exe of
the java version you want to use. The addition PATH entries are basically
noise and can be deleted without changes how your system operates. They
are a side effect of not to brilliant install routines.

The default java version for the command line may or may not be the same
as for the browser you have installed. Each browser can use a different
java version. Use the browsers java console to check what is using what.

>I have the following directories on my F: (boot) drive:
>j2re1.4.1_01
>JAVA11
>JAVA13
>java131

If this was my system, I would uninstall v1.3. It is extremely unlikely
you will ever need it.

If you are no longer running, Netscape you can consider uninstall v1.1.8.
TTBOMK, all the eCS java apps with run under v1.3.1.

I would upgrade v1.3.1 with the latest fixes from the eCS site which is
probably:

[D:\sla_dev2\TestCVS]java -version
java version "1.3.1"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.1) Classic VM
(build 1.3.1, J2RE 1.3.1 IBM build co131-20030618 (JIT enabled: jitc))

I would upgrade v1.1.8 with the latest fixes from the IBM site which will
bring you up to:

[D:\sla_dev2\TestCVS]f:\java11\bin\java -fullversion
JAVA.EXE full version "JDK 1.1.8 IBM build o118-20011106 (JIT enabled:
javax V3.5-IBMJDK1.1-20011106)"

>I woul LIKE to have the latest, most capable JAVA installed on my
>system, but I do not want to break the stuff that I use such as LVM,
>jSyncManager, and various web sites that use Java!

Unlike WinXX boxes, OS/2 systems are all different. There's no absolute
answer when there's so many variations. At the same time, it is extremely
easy to set up program objects that ensure that apps to require a specific
java version run with that version.

The latest version of Java is v1.4.1. You could make this your command
line default and handle the problem apps as special cases.

HTH,

Steven

Return to [ 10 | October | 2003 ]