Return to [ 14 | October | 2003 ]

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 14:48:07 PDT7
From: jack.huffman@worldnet.att.net
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Funny Unimaint Experience

In , on 10/12/2003
at 11:59 PM, "Steven Levine" said:

>In <200310122315.4840234.6@scoug.com>, on 10/12/03
> at 11:15 PM, jack.huffman@worldnet.att.net said:

>>I searched all of SCOUG using the term " unimaint and checkini and
>>cleanini". The only Mr. KIA file I found was dated September, 2002 and I
>>didn't see the details I was hoping to see.

>That's the article I was thinking of. What details are you still looking
>for?

More details.

What to do with attributes of os2.ini and os2sys.ini. My conclusion:
Nothing, leave r attribute set.

Unimaint says some options in the Repair Ini Files screen affect the
proper .ini file no matter which file (os2.ini or os2sys.ini) the user has
chosen to open. Which ones? I found four--Do All WPS, PM, and File
Handle Repairs, Repair BothWPS and File Handles, Repair WPS Entries,and
Display All Invalid WPS Shell Entries. When os2ini.sys is chosen, a
number of invalid WPData File,WP Folder, WP URL Folder, WP Vault, MM
Folder (Lightable) templates appear under the heading PM
Workplace:Templates. These invalid items do not appear in the
corresponding options when os2.ini is opened when Repair Ini Files is run.

When either .ini file is chosen, about 40 items are listed as "xxxx
-invalid- Is an unknown object" under two headings--PM_Workplace:Startup
and PM_ Workplace:FolderPos. I have not deleted them yet. Is there any
reason why I shouldn't repair these items and the additional items listed
"xxxx -invalid- Is an unknown object" under the heading PM
Workplace:Templates when os2ini.sys is chosen?

If you will answer that question and point out anything that suspicious
that I have said, I'll do whatever you say. Then I'll cleanini and
checkini, in that order, upgrade my tcpip stack to 32 bits, and install
Mozilla and Innotek Java.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Jack

Despite all my comments about details, I completed Unimaint and when I
rebooted found that os2sys.ini had decreased from 258 k to 150k and
os2.ini had decreased from 629k to 624k.

>>My previous problems with Unimaint may stem from the fact that I am
>>having trouble with BA2K. File->restore and file->compare work fine but
>>file->backup locks it up so I have to close it via the window list.

>You probably still have some sort of configuration problem. Take a look
>where your TMP directory is located. Perhaps you are trying to restore
>to a drive with active files?

>HTH,

>Steven.

Return to [ 14 | October | 2003 ]