Return to [ 10 | October | 2003 ]

Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 21:48:18 PDT7
From: jack.huffman@worldnet.att.net
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Funny Unimaint Experience

I had an odd experience with Unimaint.

Yesterday I did the directory and file handle repairs and reduced os2.ini
from about 257k to 200k but clobbered my desktop so far as BA2000 and RSJ
CD-Writer were concerned. Actually I did that repair twice, because, when
I ran repair dir/file handles a second time expecting to see "Nothing to
do", there were more files in the window. So I deleted them. When I was
all done, the Display Invalid WPS Entries, Display All Invalid WPS and
Handle Entries, and Do all WPS, PM & File Handle Repair windows showed
exatly the same items. I know this because I printed the contents of each
window. Many of the entries were "xxxxxx@10 is ? - Invalid - Is an
Unknown Object" after the second running of directory and file handle
repairs.

I printed out the Repair dir/file report window before doing he initial
repair and saw many references to both BA2000 and RSJ CD-Writer. The
printout said it could not find paths to the Desktop folder in which
either one resides or the prrograms or files in them with two exceptions.
Since ZTBold said there were no files in the diretories referenced, I
assumed it was okay to delete them and any files Unimaint said it found.
Bad choice.

Today I opened Unisafe and ran the Repair Dir/Handles expecting to receive
the message "Nothing to do". Instead I got the same window as yesterday.
I chcked os2.ini and it was 257k again.

I just restored my desktop with sysrestr.cmd and checked the contents of
BA2K and RSJ folders on the desktop (Only the objects for the exe files
were on the desktop before). All the files were there.

Did I confuse Uimaint and ZTBold because I have two folders labelled
"Additional OS/2 Programs"? (One has only the icons for .exe files; the
other has WebExplorer, PMView and RSJ folders in it but the RSJ folder
does not have all of the objects in the RSJ folder on my desktop and the
other two are empty.)

I renamed one "Additional OS/2 Programs1" but ZTBold doesn't show
anything in either folder after relogging. Drives shows the folder and
the contents I expected.

Why didn't the reduction in os2.ini stick? Because my .ini files have the
r attribute set? Unimaint overwrote the os2.ini when I retored the
desktop.

Why didn't and doesn't ZTBold show files that Drives does?

Sorry to do nothing but raise problems, but people around here just stare
glassily when I ask a question and say the magic word, os/2.

I hope you can help me even if you just tell me where to read the Unimaint
manual.

Oh yeah, one other thing. I noticed the words "could not" and "changed"
when sysrestr.cmd was running, so I am going to run it with "more" to see
what the problem is.

Jack

Return to [ 10 | October | 2003 ]