Return to [ 05 | September | 2003 ]

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 19:49:29 PDT7
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Installing postscript printer on Win-eCS SOLVED

In <200309042047.3074868.6@scoug.com>, on 09/04/03
at 08:47 PM, "Dr. Jeffrey Race" said:

>Search eCS site for PSCRIPT.DRV produces No Results

Makes sense. That specific file would not be posted to the site. More
reasonable searches for "Printers" and for "Postscript" turn up nothing of
use to you. This makes sense too since eCS 1.1 is new enough to probably
have shipped with the most recent version of the available drivers. The
site only contains updates.

>>or the OS2 DDPak site?

>Leads to PSCRIPTEN.EXE which unpacks to a spiffy new OS/2 driver (only)

If you recall, I did mention that very few of the IBM driver packages
include Win3.1 drivers.

>Floundering in absence of documention.

The procedures are documented in the online help. I found several hits
just by searching for "printer driver." Several discuss installing
WinOS/2 printer drivers.

>>The eCS installer will install Win3.1 drivers for you behind the scenes
>>for the printers you select during installation, assuming they have Win3.1
>>drivers.

>Don't recall being offered that option.

That either means the driver installed automatically or was not available,
as the next snippet notes.

> Afterwards, you usually have to do this yourself. It depends on >how
>the driver is packaged.

>So I went to the disk images I have in my archive (I now copy over all
>floppies to my hard drive since floppies are starting to fail on me) and
>found PSCRIPT.DRV for Windows for Workgroups 3.11 and installed; it
>works. I also used the DOS EXPAND utility to create (from the archived

You might check the HP site for a newer version of the driver. One that
turns up is:

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/printers/software/lj161en.exe.html

which is circa 1998 and probably newer than what you are using. It may be
better than what you are using or it may not be.

Steven

Return to [ 05 | September | 2003 ]