Return to [ 20 | September | 2003 ]

Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 06:09:09 PDT7
From: "Harry Motin" <hmotin@sbcglobal.net >
To: "Gary Granat" <ggranat@earthlink.net > ,
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Plextor PX-W2410A Installation/Configuration (Was: CD-R/RW Upgrade Plans)

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 15:33:04 PDT7, Gary Granat wrote:

>If you are responding to someone asking for help who
>may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
>REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
>
>Harry and Other Interested Lurkers,
>I'm ready for the next step. The PX-W2410A arrived yesterday and -- once I
>convinced some recalcitrant power and IDE cable connecters to release from the
>old Mitsumi CD-ROM drive, installation of the new Plextor went smoothly. (I
>continue to wonder whether it is really necessary to make those connectors
>cling to their pins with such tenacity; I lost some skin getting everything
>loose.)
>
>I have been running DANIS506 for some time; I upgraded to release 1.67 about a
>week ago. Late last week, I added DaniAtapi to my system, and a couple of days
>ago I also added ASPIROUT.SYS to the mix. All of these were tested and
>verified with the old Mitsumi drive. After I installed the Plextor drive,
>yesterday, I verified that it was correctly identified by this suite of
>drivers. I then installed RSJ and again verified that the drive was correctly
>identified (it was). As expected, the drive was only available after being
>attached.
>
>So, I am now ready to try to add Dani's "back door" to the mix so I don't have
>to constantly attach the drive to read CD-ROMs.
>
>Here is what I believe to be the relevent portion of my CONFIG.SYS:
>
>BASEDEV=DaniS506.ADD /VLL
>BASEDEV=XDFLOPPY.FLT
>BASEDEV=OS2DASD.DMD
>REM BASEDEV=IBMIDECD.FLT
>BASEDEV=DaniATAPI.FLT /V
>BASEDEV=OS2ASPI.DMD /ALL
>DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\ASPIROUT.SYS /V
>
>REM *** RSJ CD-Writer File System ***
>REM BASEDEV=RSJIDECD.FLT
>BASEDEV=LOCKCDR.FLT
>DEVICE=E:\CDWFS\RSJSCSI.SYS
>IFS=E:\CDWFS\CDWFS.IFS
>RUN=E:\CDWFS\CDWFSD.EXE -p "G:/RSJ_Cache" -c40000 -b4096 -t2 -i3 -s0
>
>There are some extraneous lines listed, but this demonstrates the sequence in
>which my CONFIG.SYS is read. As you can see, I requested to have RSJIDECD.FLT
>installed, but I REM'ed the line before restarting my system.
>
>Just a few moments ago, I used the CD-R that was enclosed with the drive to
>burn a test CD-ROM. I then read the test on my ThinkPad. So, I believe that
>everything is working properly and, other than having to do the CDATTACH, I an
>well satisfied with the upgrade.
>
>Harry, if you can provide some guidance on how to modify my CONFIG.SYS, I will
>be grateful.
>
>--gary

Gary,

Happy to do so! Please do the following:

1. Make a copy of your present CONFIG.SYS file. Save it somewhere, like on a
floppy diskette. Hope you have a way to restore this file to your system, should
something go wrong. That is, hope you have an OS/2 maintenance installation, either
on diskettes, CD or a HD.

2. Change your CONFIG.SYS file as follows:
A. Add the "DEVICE=E:\CDWFS\ASPIROUT.SYS" to the file

B. REM the "BASEDEV=LOCKCDR.FLT" line

C. You already have the lines for DANIATAPI.FLT and
OS2ASPI.DMD /ALL in the file. No need to do anything else there!

After you complete this your CONFIG.SYS should be:

REM *** RSJ CD-Writer File System ***
DEVICE=E:\CDWFS\ASPIROUT.SYS
REM BASEDEV=RSJIDECD.FLT
REM BASEDEV=LOCKCDR.FLT
DEVICE=E:\CDWFS\RSJSCSI.SYS
IFS=E:\CDWFS\CDWFS.IFS
RUN=E:\CDWFS\CDWFSD.EXE -p "G:/RSJ_Cache" -c40000 -b4096 -t2 -i3 -s0

3. Reboot your system. You should be able to go to the "Drives" folder and see
a new drive letter, representing your new CD unit. You should be able to read (see
only) any CD in it. This will be a permanent new drive. Naturally, when you use RSJ to
attach your unit, you will then also see another drive, probably lettered as "Z". You can
read-write from that drive

4. I've noticed that my present setup of OS/2 has a problem, when I boot up with a
music CD inside a drive bay, instead of a data CD. The system tells me that I cannot
see that particular CD drive unit. I believe the problem is because I only have the CD
file system (CDFS) installed, and not UDF. If you only have CDFS installed, you may
want to boot up with only a data CD installed, or with only an empty bay.

Good luck. Please let me know how it works out.
HCM

Return to [ 20 | September | 2003 ]