Return to [ 11 | September | 2003 ]

Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 00:29:03 PDT7
From: jack.huffman@worldnet.att.net
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: BackAgain2000 wont write to CD-RW via RSJ

In , on 09/08/2003
at 10:26 PM, "Steven Levine" said:

>In <200309082116.0735465.7@scoug.com>, on 09/08/03
> at 09:16 PM, jack.huffman@worldnet.att.net said:

>>Error id 0X0200
>>Primary RC 0x0002
>>Secondary RC 0x0000
>>Device info os/2 API error code = 3 (x0003)

>Error 3 is:

> SYS0003: The system cannot find the path specified.

>>The BST file is:

>>[Device_0]
>> Type = Logical Device
>> Name = Z:\MtoZ_9703.dat
>This says you are going to write the backups to drive Z: with this
>selected name.

>>Any thoughts will be welcome including "read the 8/27 on-line help log
>>and do what it says".

>Everything looks reasonable as long as you mounted the CD-R as drive Z:
>before starting BA2K. Did you do this?

That may have been the problem.

>How is RSJ working otherwise? Can you record CDs using RSJs drag and
>drop features when you mount the CD-RW drive as Z:?

I have not tried drag and drop because I have no music CD's and only
complete data CD's can be copied that way.

>Steven

Hallelujah!!! I finally got BA2KWS and RSJ to work together with the
result that I have a complete backup on 48x max CD-R's. I excluded the
RSJ directory from the backup of the drive in which it resides, zipped it
up and wrote it to one of the CD-R's. Maybe the fact that I was using
1x-4x CD-RW's before and erasing them repeatedly had something to do with
my inability to get material written to them.

I took the time to sort files as you suggested during the help desk (and
the paper to print many) and studied them with the result that I began to
understand where I had gone wrong. When you indicated that API errors
reported by BA2KWS were actually SYSxxxx errors, you enabled me to take a
big step forward.

I am curious about one point. BA2KWS apparently writes a temp file to my
C: drive, a file which RSJ writes to the CD-R. I say that because I can
see the availabe space on the drive go down as a backup is being created
and I see that space jump back to normal after RSJ writes to the CD-R.

I have been careful not to back more mb than the unused ones in my c:
drive. What happens if I slip and try to back more than the unused ones
on the drive?

There are a number of wrong or no longer needed BST files in the sets
directory. If I locate the BCT files which refer to them, can I move the
BST and BCT files elsewhere and delete them later if no problems arise?
Obviously I will keep the files relative to backups on some of my
partitions until I have a few generations of backups on CD-R.

Thanks for all of the help.

Jack

Return to [ 11 | September | 2003 ]