Return to [ 11 | September | 2003 ]

Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 08:53:14 PDT7
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: BackAgain2000 wont write to CD-RW via RSJ

In <200309110029.0241878.7@scoug.com>, on 09/11/03
at 12:29 AM, jack.huffman@worldnet.att.net said:

>>How is RSJ working otherwise? Can you record CDs using RSJs drag and
>>drop features when you mount the CD-RW drive as Z:?

>I have not tried drag and drop because I have no music CD's and only
>complete data CD's can be copied that way.

This is not true. RSJ implements an IFS. Once you attach a drive, it has
a drive letter. You should be able to open up the drive in the drives
folder and drag files and folders to it. This is why it's a good test of
the RSJ setup.

>up and wrote it to one of the CD-R's. Maybe the fact that I was using
>1x-4x CD-RW's before and erasing them repeatedly had something to do with
>my inability to get material written to them.

Possibly. You might have been forcing the drive to operate to too hight a
speed. Check your settings. Unless you have a bad drive or a bad CD-RW,
this should work just fine.

>I am curious about one point. BA2KWS apparently writes a temp file to my
>C: drive, a file which RSJ writes to the CD-R. I say that because I can
>see the availabe space on the drive go down as a backup is being created
>and I see that space jump back to normal after RSJ writes to the CD-R.

This is how most CD writing software works. It's not a temp file, per se.
It an exact image of the data that will be written to the CD. It is
called an ISO image. RSJ probably did it this way because it's easier to
write the software.

If you use mkisofs and cdrecord, the ISO is optional. Because they are
unix apps written in unix style, one can pipe the output of mkisofs
directly into cdrecord. This works fine as long as the rest of the
hardware is fast enough to keep up with the CD-R. This is not so easy
because building the ISO so that it can be passed in block order from
mkisofs to cdrecord is a compute intensive task.

>I have been careful not to back more mb than the unused ones in my c:
>drive. What happens if I slip and try to back more than the unused ones
>on the drive?

You'll get the typical disk full error when you run out of space. The
result will be a coaster. Just write yourself a backup checklist and use
it.

>There are a number of wrong or no longer needed BST files in the sets
>directory. If I locate the BCT files which refer to them, can I move the
>BST and BCT files elsewhere and delete them later if no problems arise?

Sure. They are files, just like any other files.

>Obviously I will keep the files relative to backups on some of my
>partitions until I have a few generations of backups on CD-R.

You can do this, but the BST files are not used for restores. The
catalogs are used. Catlogs can be large, so you probably want to delete
the old ones. You can always recover a catalog from the backup.

Don't forget to do a test restore. Just restore the files to some other
location. If you are using spanned CD's, make sure you can recover from
them. Some folks claim to have problems. I don't know if this is a
general problem or not. Better to test before you really need the use the
backup.

>Thanks for all of the help.

:-)

Steven