Return to [ 14 | April | 2004 ]

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 19:36:33 PDT7
From: Sheridan George <s-geo@usa.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Hey Sheridan

I got this one. So, what did you do differently?

dSync was easy to set up. I got it working without any grief. It
takes some time but I think I have a fix for that. I made several
dSync.cfg files. I will, real soon now, make a REXX script that will
copy a specific template to dSync.cfg, call dSync, and then copy a "NOP"
template back to dsync.cfg.

FWIW, I have templates to dSync 1) all of my main drive to my mirror
drive, 2) the data partition to the mirror, 3) the applications
partition to the mirror, 4) and a similar set to do the reverse.

I claim success with dSync. I cleared off my applications and eCS
partitions by deleting them in LVM and restored the two partitions.
(Somehow the application partition got bunged up. Then check disk on my
maintenance partition put a whole bunch of eCS into FOUND. files. grrr)
I also LVMed partitions similar to those on my main drive onto my
"mirror" drive.

Then I set about installing eCS. Once I had it running I dSynced it to
my mirror and then booted to the mirror (as if it were a maintenance
partition) and everything worked (with some minor bugs - more on that
later). OO-Rah! or whatever it is the Marines say.

On this install I get a long boot up time. (It thinks about something
for 50 sec. part way through the boot.) I decided to go back to JFS on
my applications partition (which is what I had with eCS 1.0) thinking
the 'thinking time' was due to checking the 10 gigs of HPFS. (Checking
HPFS wasn't the problem. Checking my EIDE based Flash Card reader is
the problem.) After dSyncing I reformatted the applications partition
with JFS, dSynced the other way (using my reverse application template
dSync.cfg) and wa-hoo everything worked as before. Life is good.

Now for the minor bugs . There are two things I keep on my applications
drive that eCS needs to reference: OtherDLLs (for third party DLLs) and
UtilsOS2 (which has many utilities including RAMFS.ifs which creates a
ram disk). Well, the dSynced config.sys points to C: (main application
drive) instead of Q: (mirror applications drive). I was going to use
the mirrored eCS as a maintenance partition. To do that I'll have to
solve that problem. I'm now thinking it is best to not use the mirror
as a maintenance partition. That way it will be kept pristine for
dSyncing back to C: if necessary.

Thanks for pointing me to dSync, Peter. I'm sleeping much better now.

Sheridan

Peter Skye wrote:

>Sheridan -
>
>In case you're wondering why I haven't responded to your private email
>about dSync, or why you haven't received my other emails, it's because

Return to [ 14 | April | 2004 ]