Return to [ 07 | February | 2004 ]

Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 15:12:38 PST8
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Actiontec modem setup

In <20040207194248.51755.qmail@joan.linkline.com>, on 02/07/04
at 11:42 AM, waynec@linkline.com said:

>By this, can I assume there are typos in your reply and that you meant
>remove the computer tower covers to alleviate a possible heat problem?

Yes. It's the deadly combination of typos, lax proofreading, bad eyes and
going too fast. :-)

>heat than the old cdrom (although it's plugged in, I haven't actually
>been using the cdrw as yet, so it's probably not putting out heat).

True, but it can disturb the head flow needed by the SCSI drive.

>Frankly, I don't recall disabling snoopers (did you mean we changed the
>snoop file on the utility diskettes?)

Exactly. Why might you think to commenting out the entries would do
anything other than disable them?

Compare your production snoop.lst with what you have on the install
diskettes. Anything that's rem'ed out on the install diskettes can be
rem'ed out of your production snoop.lst.

>No, actually I was unable to find anything about com2 in the bios. I did
>find a mention of 2 serial ports, so I've now disabled the second one in
>the hope that might be com2.

That would be COM2. Keep in mind that COM2 is a logical name. The OS
decides how to associate the logical names with the physical hardware.
Most OSs will assign the BIOS ports to COM1 and COM2.

>I also disabled a VIA onboard modem.

Good idea.

>> What is the result of:
>> mode com2

>"sys1620: the com port specified is not installed"

OK. I sort of suspected that was going to happen. com.sys is not the
smartest driver on the block. Change the driver line to read:

DEVICE=D:\OS2\BOOT\COM.SYS (3,CC00,11)

and see what:

mode com3

reports.

>I get an uglier error screen (return error to program, retry, etc) when I
> try com3 or com4

That's normal.

>I'll try rem'ing it and rebooting after I send this email, since it
>probably is extraneous to the problem.

Agreed. I recommended only as on optimization.

Regards,

Steven

Return to [ 07 | February | 2004 ]