Return to [ 21 | July | 2004 ]

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 12:03:05 PDT7
From: "John A. Morrow, Jr." <jmorrow895@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Partition Problems

Hello:

Here I am, back from Iraq for 15 days on R & R leave, and I find that my
eCS 1.02 partition is dead. My family disavows any knowledge of it but
when I left, eCS and Windows 2000 (service pack 3) were coexisting
peacefully on the same HDD, and when I returned, Windows boots just fine
but eCS is seemingly gone. Anyhow for the gory details:

I have one 17GB hard drive on the system. I am using Air-Boot as the
boot manager. I do not have IBM Boot Manager on the system as I could
not get it to work. When I power up the system the eCS partition is no
longer listed on the menu as such and some bogus entry is there in its
place. I suspect that the MBR was somehow corrupted. I can use my eCS
1.00 Installation CD to boot. After doing so, I open a command window
and type

LVM /QUERY

which returns

LVM0601: Logical Volume Manager failed to initialize.

and

LVM0654: LVM Error: Unable to access the drive.

I can however "see" the three partitions on which eCS (I:) and two data
partitions (J:) and (K:) reside. I can use my file manager FM/2, to read
the directory of K:, but not the other two.

Using the LVM from the eCS Installation desktop in Logical View I see:

Logical Volume Type Status
FS Size
C: Win 2k compatibility startable
FAT32 2.5G
D: Win 2k data compatibility
FAT32 2.5G
I: eCS
???? 745M
J: eCS Data 1 LVM
JFS 3.0G
K: eCS Data 2 LVM
JFS 3.0G

In Physical View I see:

Partition Size
Windows 2000 2596 Primary
[A1] W2k data 2596 Logical
[free space 1] 4494 Logical
ECS Apps & data 2 3002 Logical
ECS Apps & Data1 3002 Logical

The above may not be exactly how it appears, but you get the idea. The
ecS partition (I:) was originally formatted as HPFS.

My proposed remedy:

1. Boot from eCS CD and run LVM/NewMBR.
2. Unzip a backup of the I partition to my (hopefully) restored (I:)
partition. This backup is on a CD made last October (I was mobilized on
December 1st 2003). I have an older backup in of the I: partition, also
in a single zip file, on the K: drive which is evidently still
accessible, also.
3. Reconfigure Airboot.

I have talked to my family and there is nothing that they can't live
without if I have to repartition the drive and start over, however that
takes more time than I want to spend right now.

Feed back welcome.

Thanks in Advance

SGT John Morrow
Templeton, CA