Return to [ 21 | July | 2004 ]

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 21:32:39 PDT7
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Partition Problems

In <40FEBE1B.8010100@earthlink.net>, on 07/21/04
at 12:03 PM, "John A. Morrow, Jr." said:

>Here I am, back from Iraq for 15 days on R & R leave, and I find that my
>eCS 1.02 partition is dead.

What a thing to come home to. :-)

>not get it to work. When I power up the system the eCS partition is no
>longer listed on the menu as such and some bogus entry is there in its
>place. I suspect that the MBR was somehow corrupted.

This is possible if somehow W2K decided to do some disk administration.

>1. Boot from eCS CD and run LVM/NewMBR.

This is unlike to fix anything. I suspect you have slightly corrupted LVM
data. This is not stored in the MBR.

>I have talked to my family and there is nothing that they can't live
>without if I have to repartition the drive and start over, however that
>takes more time than I want to spend right now.

I recommend you grab a copy of dfsee (www.dfsee.com). There are menu
options that should allow you to identify the corrupted LVM data. See the
Actions menu. The Find lost partitions option is probably a good one to
start with.

To gather information, use dfsquery.cmd and dfstart.cmd. Post the output
of the query run here to get started.

HTH,

Steven

Return to [ 21 | July | 2004 ]