Return to [ 04 | March | 2004 ]

Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 20:23:47 PST8
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: VMWare

Sheridan George wrote:

> Thanks Steven. Let's have a dialog about this. (Any one may join in.)

Sheridan,

I expect you've seen one of Kim's demos involving Connectix | VPC (which
has since been bought out by MicroSquish). That was quite impressive. I
would hope that Serenity would opt for something no less impressive to succeed
it. Even so, whether this fits your particular scenario is another matter.

> (Although that WinLite thingy Tony discussed several months/years ago might be stable enough to be OK.
> But viruses would still be a problem.)

This is probably the major thing that I wonder about, wheher it's VPC, VMWare,
or SVISTA under consideration: is fake (emulated) Windoze *still* going to open
any doors for viruses, Trojans, worms, backdoor programs, or spyware executables
to get in and do their thing ? OR, is it simulative enough that this is NOT a factor ?
Perhaps Steven knows, perhaps we need to ask Kim about this.

> Some of the above is mitigated if the SVISTA product will be solid and works as advertized. I would
> prefer to support eCS than VMWare. So, what to do?

I'd wait to see what SVISTA has to offer, if that is an option.

I recall seeing a post somewhere -- not on one of our Lists -- mentioning some
fantastic deal that could be had on VMWare. But I suspect it wouldn't be that
much better than what you could obtain via the Academic price. I don't think
VPC was going to sell that many copies to end-users at $300. a pop. If Serenity
can offer a noticeably better price on this new product, things could be different.

Jordan

Return to [ 04 | March | 2004 ]