Return to [ 04 | March | 2004 ]

Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 19:58:47 PST8
From: Sheridan George <s-geo@usa.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: VMWare

Steven Levine wrote:

> My only comment is that you might want to consider the eCS SVISTA product.
> When finished it will fully support eCS/Warp as a host and a client.

Thanks Steven. Let's have a dialog about this. (Any one may join in.)

Here is my thinking (these reasons are not in any special order):

1) At school I will not be able to use my own personal laptop. They have a long list of reasons. They
are willing in to install VMWare on my school supplied machine so I can run OS/2 though.

Here is how the operation is being run: all the computer lab computers are built from a "company
standard" image. That way if a computer dies or some student really whacks one out of shape the
replacement/repaired computer gets a new image and ker-blam it is back on the air to company standard.
This seems reasonable to me.

The teacher computers will be somewhat the same. Just a different standard. They have asked us
teachers for any extras we may want. Let's say I ask for WinZip and Flash. Someone else asks for
other programs. They will look at the lists and load the largest common denominator useful to most
teachers to all teacher machines even if some teachers get something they didn't ask for. That will
be the "teacher company standard". I will be allowed to load programs special to me such as Python
and MySQL. Now, if my computer goes south my replacement will be loaded with the teacher company
standard and it will be my task to get Python and MySQL back on myself. Again, reasonable.

The question is: Will fighting the idiosyncraies of VMWare at school and SVISTA at home be overly
stressful? I dunno; I don't know enough about either one to say anything.

2) I'm personally not wedded to eCS as the host OS. Unix/Linux is OK with me. Just no windows.
(Although that WinLite thingy Tony discussed several months/years ago might be stable enough to be OK.
But viruses would still be a problem.) Would there be an advantage to using Linux just for device
driver support? Again, no say. For all I know Linux is as far behind the curve as is OS/2.

3) I'm looking for four things:
a) Stability
b) The eCS desktop
c) The ability to try new products without taking the chance that my production machine will be
put out of commission or without the necessity to keep a "test box" around for such testing (which I
can never seem to keep in the same configuration as my production machine.)
d) The ability to advance to multiple CPUs in the future. Yes, I know eCS offers a two CPU option
but is its operation different enough to instanciate a new learning curve? No say. My understanding
is Linux sniffs out the number of CPUs and uses them automagically but the command line operations are
not very different. Again, I may be way in the dark here. eCS multi-processor may be just as simple to
use.

Some of the above is mitigated if the SVISTA product will be solid and works as advertized. I would
prefer to support eCS than VMWare. So, what to do?

Sheridan

Return to [ 04 | March | 2004 ]