Return to [ 05 | May | 2004 ]

Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 23:07:15 PDT7
From: "Gary Granat" <ggranat@earthlink.net >
To: < "scoug-help@scoug.com" > scoug-help@scoug.com >
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Peer Network Problems...

On Wed, 5 May 2004 10:41:34 PDT7, Steve Schiffman wrote:

>> I purchased a new Linksys EtherFast 10/100 hub and a new
> > Linksys EtherFast 10/100 PC Card for my antique Thinkpad 380-XD.
>> I used MPTS to remove my old IBM EtherJet PC Card from the environment and --
>> after a restart -- added the Linksys card. The entire process went without
>> incident.
>>
>> Does anyone have a suggestion about where I should start to troubleshoot this
>> problem?
>
>View the LANTRAN.LOG file on both systems to find out if there are any
>error messages. I expect that the linksys driver for the PC Card will be
>displaying an error message saying that it could not find the PC Card.

Steve,
Neither system is generating any error messages in the LANTRAN.LOG. Following
is the LANTRAN.LOG for the ThinkPad:
IBM OS/2 LANMSGDD [08/01/96] 5.05 is loaded and operational.
IBM OS/2 LANDD [08/01/96] 5.00.02
IBM OS/2 LANDLLDD 2.01
IBM OS/2 LANDLLDD is loaded and operational.
IBM OS/2 NETBEUI 5.00.0
NETBEUI: Using a 32-bit data segment.
Installing NETWKSTA.200 Version 5.0. IBM LAN Redirector (Aug 15, 1996)

IBM OS/2 NETBIOS 4.0
Adapter 0 has 75 NCBs, 30 sessions, and 6 names available to NETBIOS
applications.
NETBIOS 4.0 is loaded and operational.
IBM LANVDD is loaded and operational.
IBM OS/2 LAN Netbind
IBM LANDD is accessing IBM 802.3 LAN Interface.
Adapter 0 was initialized and opened successfully.
Adapter 0 is using node address 00045A9C12A6. The Token-Ring format is
00205A394865.
IBM LANDD was successfully bound to MAC: PC100_nif->VECTOR.
Adapter 0 is using node address 00045A9C12A6. The Token-Ring format is
00205A394865.

For drill, I took Steven's points (in another thread) to heart and reviewed
PROTOCOL.INI, SETUP.CMD, and IBMLAN.INI with the following conclusions:

IBMLAN.INI on the two systems is identical excepting for system specific values
like COMPUTERNAME.

SETUP.CMD: The LAN0 configuration is different between the two systems. The
first four lines for each system follow:
=========== DFI SYSTEM SETUP.CMD ==================
route -fh
arp -f
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
ifconfig lan0 192.168.5.123 netmask 255.255.255.0
=========== THINKPAD SETUP.CMD====================
route -fh
REM arp -f
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
REM ifconfig lan0

PROTOCOL.INI: The internal sequence is different on each system; not sure why
this is. Of course, details of the data contained is different. Because of
their length, I have not included them here. If you think it is important to
review them, I can send them to you separately.

One other thing comes to mind, having now had a day to look things over in this
new environment. The hub is intended to allow 10BaseT and 100BaseTX systems to
coexist on the same network. Says so right in the manual. The desktop system
registers on the hub as 10BaseT; the ThinkPad registers on the hub as
100BaseTX. The manual for the new card says: "The EtherFast 10/1000 PC Cards
will run with both 10BaseT and 100BaseTX networks without any special settings,
allowing you to plug into virtually any network..." I'm wondering if this
apparent mismatch is the source of the problem. I've sent a note to Linksys
support asking this question and asking for any parameters I can include on the
driver line in CONFIG.SYS that may force the card to start at 10BaseT rather
than 100BaseTX.

Your thoughts and observations will be appreciated.

--gary

Return to [ 05 | May | 2004 ]