Return to [ 21 | April | 2006 ]

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 08:16:43 PST8
From: sshapiro@ucsd.edu (Sandy Shapiro)
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: New motherboard

In , on 04/20/06
at 09:57 PM, "Steven Levine" said:

>FWIW, I believe this is the same chipset that cause Tony problems at the
>March meeting. We demo'ed an eCS 1.2R install on his dual-core Athlon64
>box and the NIC chipset was not recognized.

Now you tell me.

My problem is that I act first and ask questions later.

I was able to get eCS 2.0 beta 1 to work, somewhat, but there were so many
problems that I pulled the board, and the new power supply, and put back
the original board and power supply.

If anyone is interested, here are a few of the obstacles:

MB was an Asus A8N-SLI with AMD Athlon 3200 cpu. I had to use a new power
supply, and I could not use my AGP graphics card. I put in a PCI card
based on the GeForce 3200 chip.

eCS 2.0 beta 1 boot up and recognized the new video card and the monitor
(original one). No LAN and no USB.

I did figure out that the old Asus motherboard (Socket A) has two LAN
connector slots -- one for 10/100 LAN and one for Gigabyte LAN. The new MB
has only the one for Gigabyte LAN.

When I tried to use BA2K to restore some files I suspected were corrupted,
the files were found and the restore process started, but then nothing
happened. It just sat there marking time.

I was able to use the eCS 2.0 beta 1 install CD to boot to a command line.
(Now the USB was recognized). I then ran the BA2K restore program from
floppies, but had the same experience: found the files, started the
restore, and then sat and did nothing.

OS/2 Warp could not find the video card, so I boot into VGA mode and
installed a later version of SNAP (the same build as is being used by my
eCS install on this computer). The video card was now recognized, but not
the monitor. Monitor detect did not work either. The desktop was there,
but did not look normal.

I was unable to boot from my bootable CD nor from my maintenance partition
-- some kind of DOSCALL error (I didn't take notes, so I can't remember
exactly) in each case.

Windows of course boot up and ran flawlessly.

eCS would sometimes hang during the boot procedure. When I did a Alt-F2
check, it looked like HPFS was the last file listed before the hang.

The worst part was that, if I had a hang, and I tried to wait for a bit to
see what would happen, the computer would shut itself off! Something about
the power supply? There was certainly not a lot of heat, and all the fans
were running.

Now I am back with original MB, power supply and AGP video card. LAN, USB
and BA2K all normal.

I am also back with random Trap 0008 errors in OS/2 Warp (No errors so far
in eCS).

I have just picked up a used Asus A8V-MX MB for $41.00. It has the socket
939, and only one LAN 10/100 connector that uses a very similar chipset as
my original. And it will take my AGP video card.

I also think I can make my old power supply work with this MB -- there is
an extra four pin connector that will fit in the extra four slots on the
24 slot connector. Hopefully I will be able to check it out over the
weekend. I unfortunately am not retired and have to get back to work.

Thanks for all the help.
Sandy

Return to [ 21 | April | 2006 ]