Return to [ 23 | April | 2006 ]

Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 22:43:54 PST8
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Accessing local LAN

In <444C4D67.4060206@usa.net>, on 04/23/06
at 08:00 PM, Sheridan said:

>I put the statement about no startup.cmd to let you know I hadn't simply
>overlooked that item.

I trusted you to ask questions, rather than just ignoring any items you
did not understand. :-)

>Also, the comment about TCP/IP Startup was to let
>you know I did see that and I knew it was a different program.

I don't ask for tcpstart.cmd because it has nothing to do with basic
network connectivity. If you look at yours, you will probably find it is
entirely REMs.

>I should have been a bit more clear. What I was trying to ask was "what
>are the catagories of clues are we looking for in those files".

Error messages first. Typos second. End-user edits third. That's
usually all it takes to figure out the source of the problem, and often
the fix.

>I see this is one the clues - an interrupt conflict. (I hate to admit
>it but I missed that one the first time I read the log.

It happens. At least you looked.

>So the task at hand is to find the
>conflict cause.

pci.exe is your friend here. Run it as

pci -s

and

pci -b -d -p -r

rmview will not help here, because it shows only assigned IRQs.

>backup. When I did the 1.0 install I did an advanced install because I
>didn't want multimedia. Now that I have a digital camcorder I decided
>to do a "default" install of 1.2R so I could have the multimedia stuff.
>I suspect that is the first place to look for the conflict. Do you
>agree and what tool would be best for that task?

Since the NIC used to work, it's clear that something you were not using
is sharing the NIC IRQ. The best solution would be to try to find a
driver for the NIC that will share interrupts properly. Try os2.warp.be.

Another option is the use Veit's spciirq to re-route the IRQs.

You might also try clearing the ESCD in the BIOS and booting with full
hardware detection. Maybe something will move.

Regards,

Steven

Return to [ 23 | April | 2006 ]