Return to [ 23 | April | 2006 ]

Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 20:00:53 PST8
From: Sheridan <s-geo@usa.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Accessing local LAN

Content Type: text/plain

Steven Levine wrote:

>In <444B1983.2020509@usa.net>, on 04/22/06
> at 10:07 PM, Sheridan said:
>

>>There is no startup.cmd but the Startup folder in Local System has
>>TCP/IP Startup in it.
>>

>As the list said, provide startup.cmd, if you have you. It's optional and
>if had one, you would know what it is.

I put the statement about no startup.cmd to let you know I hadn't simply
overlooked that item. Also, the comment about TCP/IP Startup was to let
you know I did see that and I knew it was a different program.

>>What is it we're looking for?
>>

>We are looking for the reason or reasons you can not access your LAN.
>This is your problem. Is it not?

I should have been a bit more clear. What I was trying to ask was "what
are the catagories of clues are we looking for in those files".

>The first problem you need to fix is the failure reported on line 13 of
>LANTRAN.LOG. Your possible options are shuffle cards or find a better
>driver or get a NIC with decent drivers.

I see this is one the clues - an interrupt conflict. (I hate to admit
it but I missed that one the first time I read the log. Don't hurt
yourself laughting now! ) So the task at hand is to find the
conflict cause.

This MB has a built-in NIC and has been working with the same driver I
used this time ever since I first installed eCS 1.0. Therefore, I know
this NIC and driver work. Digging a little deeper.

I did something that crashed the system (it wouldn't even boot any more)
and decided to install version 1.2R instead of fixing things with my
backup. When I did the 1.0 install I did an advanced install because I
didn't want multimedia. Now that I have a digital camcorder I decided
to do a "default" install of 1.2R so I could have the multimedia stuff.
I suspect that is the first place to look for the conflict. Do you
agree and what tool would be best for that task?

Sheridan

Return to [ 23 | April | 2006 ]