Return to [ 07 | April | 2006 ]

Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 10:09:10 PST8
From: J R FOX <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: bootAble Presentation

Content Type: text/plain

--- Harry Motin wrote to Sandy
Shapiro:

> 3. Do you use the CD for system recovery (full
> system crash recovery) or
> do you use it only for system maintenance?
>
> 4. If you use it for crash recovery, what
> backup/restore system do you
> use?

If you run any program from CD that insists on writing
to (updating) one of its own files (such as a log file
?), and said file being written to has not been or
cannot be redirected somewhere that *is* writeable
(HDD or Ramdisk), wouldn't that be a non-starter ? If
so, is BA/2 such a program ?

I had an email exchange with Hayo well over a year
ago, in which he said that people were running a lot
of useful programs from his CDs. I don't recall any
list he mentioned, specifically, but it wasn't just a
few of your basic diagnostic util.s like PCI.
Probably some major stuff. I mean, can't the Knoppix
CD run Mozilla or some other heavyweight browser ? I
think the eCS Demo CD does.

Generally speaking, I think it would be useful to have
some kind of a list of things you Can & Can't run from
a Bootable CD, and why. No need to test all this
stuff out yourselves (Harry & Sandy), because I know
time grows short, if you're doing this a week from
tom'w. Some first-hand reports from other Bootable
users would be fine for the purposes of such a list.
I'm guessing that the things that can't be run this
way are likely to be because the program has to put
something in the System INIs when it is installed, or
due to the reason I mentioned above, or because an
app. uses a lot of memory that isn't available in the
ramdisk scenario.

I hope your presentation will be made available at the
SCOUG website. I'll be farther away than the usual
hour's drive that Sat., so this may be the only way
I'll get to see it.

Jordan

Return to [ 07 | April | 2006 ]