Return to [ 03 | December | 2006 ]

Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 01:22:11 -0800
From: ggranat@earthlink.net
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Plain-Text Printing

In , on 11/30/2006
at 10:53 PM, "Steven Levine" said:

>>I have a need to extract text in plain ASCII format from a proprietary
>>database.

>Inquiring minds would like to know which one.

The application is OmniFile (Check+ module). It was published by Computer
Interface Corp. The last refresh was sometime in 1998, and the company
apparently abandoned this line of business not too long afterward. I've been
using Check+ (and, later, OmniFile when they folded Check+ into that product)
since late 1993 or early 1994, but the application is getting long in the
tooth and is beginning to show signs of instability. I want to switch to a
more flexible database application, and I want to port my historical data
from OmniFile/Check+.

>>The utilities provided with the application which should let me do
>>this aren't working and the company that wrote the application no longer
>>exists.

>Define not working. Perhaps they can be made to work.

The export utilities are not stand-alone. They are apparently contained
within one or more of the application DLLs and must be executed from within
OmniFile. I have not found any sort of external interface for any of the
application functionality. I can export data in Quicken format, but that has
some serious limitations, not the least of which is that some data gets
truncated. The option to export data in ASCII format claims that it will
produce a file with data contained within quotes and fields comma-delimited,
but all that it produces is a file with null content.

>>I would like to "print" the text from the database to a file.

>Print how? Using the database's report writer tool?

That was my intent. I had hoped to use a sufficiently primitive driver to
produce a nice ASCII flat file that I can manipulate to become the source for
the new application. Unfortunately, I haven't discovered that driver, yet.
My alternative is to print the data as reports and then to hand-key the data
back into the new application. This is not a prospect that has me jumping
for joy, since I'm looking at having to do data entry on twelve or thirteen
years worth of data.

>GUI printer drivers by definition do not print raw text. Does the app
>allow you to print to LPT1? This might give you raw text, depending on the
>app.

I just finished checking OmniFile configuration and there doesn't appear to
be an option to "print to LPT1". It does allow me to choose any installed
printer as my report printer, however.

-- gary

Return to [ 03 | December | 2006 ]