Return to [ 12 | February | 2006 ]

Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 20:40:31 PST8
From: "Bob" <2lvvuss02@sneakemail.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: DSL service: static IP dumb question

** Reply to message from "Wayne waynec@linkline.com" on Sun, 12 Feb 2006
16:31:48 PST8

> Robert, I was more concerned with the router, but also concerned as to
> whether OS/2 could be configured for dynamic IP's, or if it even cares
> what kind of IP it has if it is attached to a LinkSys router.
> I am not an eCS user, and the folder "network" is NOT contained in my
> OS/2 Warp 4 System Setup folder, nor does a search on "IP" in the help
> file yield anything. The only "network" folder I found seems to be
> concerned with Netware, which I also use occasionally for a local network.

eCS has a different menu tree than Warp 4. I do not remember where things show
up in Warp but all of the same options are in each.

> When I bring up tcpcfg.exe, it appears that the settings say to
> configure automatically using DHCP.... but I have no idea whether that
> tells me anything about whether I'm using static or dynamic IP's
> (remember, I did start out by saying I needed help with a dumb
> question... that's because I'm ignorant)

DHCP says you are using dynamic IP address.

> When I phoned my ISP, they said I could opt for a year-long contract and
> either
> a) get 2x the speed for $3 less per month, or
> b) be down a week while Verizon changes my line, and pay $3 more per
> month (plus buy a new DSL modem)
> for a 4x boost in speed.
>
> Both those options depend upon using a dynamic IP, otherwise it gets
> more expensive.

From what you say above you are already using dynamic IP addresses. I would
have expected your ISP to have told you this.

> I'm peeved at my ISP for not telling me that I had those options when
> they became available, but I do not wish to change my email address and
> move my personal webspace if I can avoid it.

It is like any business when prices go down they will not volunteer that
information because it would reduce their revenue.

What I have done is register my own domain name and switched my email address.
I did not have to give up my old address so I still get some email there but I
tell everyone to use my new address. Now if I have problems with my current
ISP I can switch ISPs without any interruption in service since I own the
domain name.

--
Robert Blair

Return to [ 12 | February | 2006 ]