Return to [ 13 | February | 2006 ]

Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 11:04:41 PST8
From: J R FOX <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: next 1.2R attempt | Moz extensions & their errors

Content Type: text/plain

--- Steven Levine wrote:

> >the extension was intended for FF only, and is not
> >going to be compatible with Moz 1.7.12 ? Or won't
> be
> >compatible with *our* platform ?

> None of the above. It means your copy of the xpi or
> possibly your mozilla
> install may be somehow messed up.

Thanks for the reply, Steven. I think I must have
seen a couple of defective XPI downloads in the past,
so that wouldn't be unprecedented. Will try to pick
those up again. (XPI looks to me to be some kinda
pseudo Zipfile. Is there no archive integrity test
for them ? Which also reminds me: You previously told
me that we're outta luck in regard to any more up to
date PKZip for OS/2 than the ancient and not
completely up to snuff 2.50. So, what do we use
instead ? The gnu UNZIP ?)

So, it's possible that my Mozilla install is messed
up, yet *some* -- otherwise compatible -- extensions
install just fine, while others return this error ?
I can try these same XPIs in the other eCS boot
partition, or in either of the W2K ones: all of them
are equipped with Moz 1.7.12. I consider it very
unlikely that each of these is screwed up -- much less
in the same exact way -- so if they *still* don't work
there that suggests to me it has to be the XPIs.

Another XPI (Copy Plain Text, in an earlier version)
that I now recall being either defective or a bad d/l
had installed fine, but threw out a different error
when I tried to use it. So I guess there is more than
one failure mode for these things . . . .

Jordan

Return to [ 13 | February | 2006 ]