Return to [ 13 | February | 2006 ]

Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 11:25:21 PST8
From: J R FOX <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Installing ECS Version 1.2

Content Type: text/plain

--- Harry Motin wrote:

> My question is: Has anyone tried an upgrade install
> of 1.2? That is, has anyone
> installed it over an existing 1.1 version and not to
> a clean hard drive? If so, are there any
> problems with this?

Yes, Harry. I've tried that very thing, with 1.2R --
once, to date -- with plenty of problems, and I've
discussed it on the List. *However*, there are some
unresolved H/W issues in my case, as many of the same
problems cropped up previously in my 1.2GA install to
a clean partition, which Steven had to finesse with
some extensive maneuvering over the course of a couple
Live Help Desk sessions. Therefore, I think it is
quite premature to say how much of this can be placed
on the doorstep of the Migration option. What seems
clear to me is that the eCS installer still has a ways
to go before it is entirely ready for prime time. And
more than a couple drivers may have issues as well.

> In installing over, does the
> installation save your existing desktop
> setup somewhere (like "Previous Desktop")? I'm
> looking for something that will install
> over and which will save all my previous stuff?

Yes, that is how it is supposed to work. Because I
had other severe problems (No Peer, plain VGA and No
SNAP, and otherwise very incomplete install), I never
got as far as trying to see how one goes about
reinstating your "Legacy" desktop to be the official
one . . . though someone indicated there is a way of
doing this.

Jordan

Return to [ 13 | February | 2006 ]