Return to [ 10 | February | 2006 ]

Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 10:23:44 PST8
From: J R FOX <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: next 1.2R attempt | Moz extensions & their errors

Content Type: text/plain

--- Ray Davison wrote:

> J R FOX wrote:
> >
> > Not an option here, Ray. We're talking about the
> > Shuttle box, which only has room for one HDD.
> > Removing it is really a PITA, too.
>
> I have a scheme that seems to work on my laptop; I
> have only done it a
> couple times. I have a USB case that holds an IDE
> HDD. Both DRDOS
> and FREEDOS can access it. I can boot from a floppy
> and use PM or
> boot the DFSEE CD, and copy a boot partition from
> USB to internal.

Ray,

Well, I do employ a scheme for (backup) clonings of
the HDD in the Shuttle. It involves removing the
cover and "borrowing" the 2nd. IDE controller &
connector, which would ordinarily be driving the dvd
burner. This is a bit of a chore, so I don't do it
very often, but it is a whole lot easier than removing
the drive cage and the drives it contains (optical;
HDD in the *middle* and therefore the least
accessible; FDD). You seem to be suggesting a
variation of this: I could wire up a bare HDD --
outside the case -- and use the 1st. IDE controller
for that, leaving me the optical drive on the 2nd. IDE
in order to run the eCS install CDs. Something would
have to be rigged up on the HDD to preserve the
existing drive letter assignment . . . but there would
be no W2K, and no NTFS partitions. THEN, assuming the
install worked, you're saying it could be transferred
and dropped into place on the "real* multi-boot HDD.

Maybe this would work, maybe not. It is already
well-established that JFS (an apparently unavoidable
item that is part of the eCS install) is an absolute
deal-killer on this box. It must be REMmed out via
the Maintenance Console during the install, or nothing
else will happen beyond that point. For all I know,
this could be a hardware issue. In any case, the
method above seems like driving from L.A. to
Bakersfield via Denver. I'm not sure if I want to get
there *that* bad.

Another thing I would say is that the install
situation may have been *better*, back in the Warp4
days, when Peer had to be done in a separate pass of
its own. The way things are now, it seems to be the
failure of the Peer install that causes many of the
other problems I'm seeing , with SNAP not going on and
the desktop being only partially populated. That is
where the train seems to get derailed.

Jordan

Return to [ 10 | February | 2006 ]