Return to [ 11 | February | 2006 ]

Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 15:10:12 PST8
From: Wayne <waynec@linkline.com >
To: SCOUG computer help <scoug-help@scoug.com >
Subject: SCOUG-Help: DSL service: static IP dumb question

Content Type: text/plain

This is probably a really dumb question, but I haven't looked at this
area for quite some time and I cannot remember the issues...

I think when I first installed DSL, I had a static IP, and I think that
was a requirement of OS/2, but I didn't have a router back then. Frankly
I don't know if I still have a static IP, or if that even needs to be
the case for OS/2 version 4.

I currently have a DSL modem with a 4-port LinkSys BEFSR41 router
connecting several computers and the DSL modem; I haven't had to look at
the router for over 4 years. The computers run OS/2 ver 4 and various
levels of Windows (XP and 95) and can access the internet fine.

What's the easiest way to find out if I'm using a static or dynamic IP?
I assume the router is the only box that cares, and that the IP
addresses the router uses on the computer (downstream) side are static,
even though it may/could use dynamic IP's for the server (upstream)
side... am I right? or wrong?

I just found out that I've been overpaying my ISP, who never bothered to
tell me the speeds and price structures have changed and that I could
get a higher DSL speed for less money (from them) than I've been getting
for the higher price they've continued to charge me... but the lower
price requires using dynamic IP addresses.

Thanks,
Wayne

Return to [ 11 | February | 2006 ]