Return to [ 30 | July | 2006 ]

Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 14:51:54 -0700
From: Tom Brown <thombrown@san.rr.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Flaky directory tree

Content Type: text/plain

Steven Levine wrote:
> In <44CAB20F.9030301@san.rr.com>, on 07/28/06
> at 05:55 PM, Tom Brown said:
>
>> There is ONE fly in the ointment, however... MAKEMPL *SKIPS* some
>> directories.
>
> What do you mean by skips? What happens if you run makempl for just the
> skipped directory or just the parent of the skipped directory?

For example, one of the directories, for a particular artist, has 11
subdirectories. When I run makempl.exe, the .m3u file is created in the
artist directory and it contains all of the tracks in the
subdirectories, but .m3u files are created in ONLY 3 of the
subdirectories! If I run makempl in those subdirectories, the .m3u file
is created for that subdirectory. Thus, the subdirectories are not
skipped entirely, just at the lowest level.

>> I suspect that there is some difference in either the extended
>> attributes of the directories or in the class attributes of the
>> directories (which may be the same thing, I don't understand them).
>
> EAs maybe. Class attributes, unlikely since makempl is a REXX command
> line program.
>
>> What I need is some method to analyze the directories that are and are
>> not picked up by MAKEMPL.EXE so that I can make whatever changes are
>> necessary to make this whole thing work!
>
> I suspect a couple of minutes spent with rxd
>
> http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/dev/rexx/rxd.zip

rxd does not seem to work too well on makempl.EXE! It puts up a window
full of garbage (a character mode representation of makempl.exe) and
immediately exits leaving this garbage on the screen. WPS farkled,
needed a reboot.

OK, now I have found the source and the problem, I think! The
directories wherein .m3u files are NOT created have the archive flag
set. Looks like this causes makempl to ignore them when it is creating
the .m3u files. Looks like I need to change '-+--' to '*+--' on line 32
of makempl.rxx.

I am familiar with running REXX programs via xxx.cmd, but not via .rxx
files. How does makempl.rxx get converted into makempl.exe? I have
looked for answers everywhere I can think of.

OK, I copied makempl.rxx to makempl.cmd and it seems to work. It created
12 .m3u files, one in the artist directory and 11 others in the
subdirectories.

Thanks! The only question now is how to convert the .rxx to .exe.

--
Tom Brown, Catherder
thombrown at san dot rr dot com

Return to [ 30 | July | 2006 ]