Return to [ 04 | March | 2006 ]

Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 10:02:29 PST8
From: Colin Campbell <cmcampb@adelphia.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Next step in going wireless...

Content Type: text/plain

Since the last SCOUG meeting, I have connected both of my PCs to the
Linksys WRT54G Router via Ethernet cables, and both machines work fine
doing Internet access, newsgroup browsing, e-mail, etc. At that
meeting, Jerry Rash gave me some ideas on how to get a wireless
connection going for one of the PCs, so that I could move it to another
part of my house.

The idea I have chosen to try is to buy a Linksys WAP54G Access Point.
Jerry said that I needed one that could be set up to act as a Bridge,
and this unit says it does allow that.

My understanding is that this setup would work as follows: The two PCs
are connected via Ethernet cables to each of these two Linksys units,
and the units "communicate" with each other. The PCs each use their
existing Ethernet cards, so I should not have any operating system
related problems making things work.

My next step is to try to get the setup to work within my office, where
both PCs are still sitting side-by-side. I've read the Quick
Installation brochure, and much of the PDF User's Guide. They tell me
to connect the AP (Acccess Point) to "a switch or router". Then, I'm
theoretically ready to run the Setup Wizard CD.

Obviously, I'll be running Windows when I do this. Looking at what I'm
supposed to do with the Wizard, it looks like I'll need to use some of
the settings I applied to the Router (SSID and Channel). The final
steps in the Wizard are to do Security settings. I haven't set up
security yet on the Router, so I probably need to do both at once.
There is a Browser-based method available for the AP as there is for the
Router, so I can probably bring up Mozilla on each PC, point one at the
Router, point the other at the AP, and go to work setting the same values.

One other thing I will do is go to Linksys and download the latest
firmware for each unit.

Does this sound right? Please give me some confidence building feedback!

One other question: Could I bring only the two Linksys units to the
Live Help Desk without the two PCs, and get some setup assistance? (I
don't think I'm willing to try and transport two desktop PCs to the Help
Desk.)

Thanks,
Colin

Return to [ 04 | March | 2006 ]