Return to [ 06 | March | 2006 ]

Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 06:22:39 PST8
From: Harry Motin <hmotin@sbcglobal.net >
To: Help SCOUG <scoug-help@scoug.com >
Subject: SCOUG-Help: ECS 1.2 Upgrade Status Report

Content Type: text/plain

Hello Everyone:
This is just a status report on my attempt to upgrade my system to ECS version 1.2. It failed (at least I think it failed) at the "Startup.cmd" following the first reboot. What happen is that I heard continual, low level hard disk activity in the background (the hard drive activity light on the case does not work, because I have not yet attached the HD wire from the motherboard to the SCSI adapter). Anyway after about 15 minutes of this activity and nothing else happening I aborted the upgrade attempt. I checked behind the "Startup.cmd" window (as started in the instructions) to make sure that there was not a popup window behind it.

So, the question to ask is: Is 15 minutes enough time to wait for the installation to progress past the "Startup.cmd" window following the first reboot (I have a new motherboard and 3.2 GHz CPU, in case anyone wants to take a stab at an answer). If anyone has an answer to this, I would appreciate it.

I tried to install the upgrade several times, using different hardware selections, all to no avail. I tried installing without selecting networking or soundcard. I tried installing, using VGA. I initially was installing, using a PCI Express video card. I removed that card and replaced it the AGP card that I was using on my old box. Still did not work!

OK!! So, I restored my latest backup of ECS to the new computer box (made some manual modifications to the CONFIG.SYS file to get pass some hardware differences between the old and new boxes). Anyway, I have my ECS 1.14 version now running on the new box. So far so good. It booted up correctly several times without any problems (I'm a little paranoid about using my current ECS version/setup on new hardware because of difficulties I've had in the past). Nevertheless, it seems to be OK. And as an added bonus I no longer have that trap issue that I had on the old box. So I think the hardware issue is cured.

I do not have network access on my new box (I'm presently using my wife's computer to write and send this E-Mail). I've got to figure out why!

Here are some other bonuses: The ECS 1.2 installation recognized the VIA soundcard chip on the motherboard and the VIA LAN on the motherboard. Looks like I'll be able to use both, if and when I get version 1.2 installed.
HCM

Content Type: text/html