Return to [ 06 | March | 2006 ]

Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 10:58:25 PST8
From: J R FOX <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: ECS 1.2 Upgrade Status Report

Content Type: text/plain

--- Harry Motin wrote:

> Hello Everyone:
> This is just a status report on my attempt to
> upgrade my system to ECS version 1.2. It failed (at
> least I think it failed) at the "Startup.cmd"
> following the first reboot. What happen is that I
> heard continual, low level hard disk activity in the
> background

> So, the question to ask is: Is 15 minutes enough
> time to wait for the installation to progress past
> the "Startup.cmd" window following the first reboot
> (I have a new motherboard and 3.2 GHz CPU, in case
> anyone wants to take a stab at an answer).

Hi Harry,

Wish I could be of more help on this, but the only eCS
install I've done on my all-SCSI tower system was 1.0,
quite a long time ago, and I just don't recall the
details. I think I probably did this together with
Tony Butka, who guided the last rebuild of that system
with its then-new components, and he must have known
how to get around whatever problems may have come up.
The installer has changed since then. I seem to
recall a 2 to 4 screen set of fill-in checkboxes,
before the installer started doing its thing, which
included one for choosing whatever SCSI adapter /
driver combo you had. My recollection is that it
worked. I have some reservations as to how well that
might still hold true for the current installer. My
strong suspicion is that things like this might
actually have gone more smoothly in the W4-era
installation.

There can definitely be some gotchas to watch out for.
To cite one example, *if* there are already some NTFS
partitions on the HDD, this _in my experience_ stops
the installer stone cold dead at the early JFS line,
which has to be REMmed out in Config.Sys. I guess
this has to be done by bailing out of the install
process temporarily via the Management Console option.
THEN, it is an open question whether or not you'll be
able to resume -- more or less from where you left off
-- all the way to a satisfactory completion.

You may have run into some non-starter comparable to
the above. Quite frankly, I don't think this current
issue installer is ready for Prime Time (despite
whatever improvements have supposedly been made); I
would give it no better than a C-, if I happened to be
in a very charitable mood that day.

And Yes, I think the 15 minute wait you described for
that point in the process, given the H/W you have, is
excessive.

Jordan

Return to [ 06 | March | 2006 ]