Return to [ 31 | March | 2006 ]

Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 12:12:02 PST8
From: Ray Davison <raydav@charter.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: SM and Flash

Content Type: text/plain

Steven Levine wrote:
> In <442D61D8.9020104@charter.net>, on 03/31/06
> at 09:07 AM, Ray Davison said:
>

>>For the purposes of this discussion I will say that Flash works if the
>>Flash box, at the referenced Macromedia site, has content, the three
>>tabs open, and the about tab identifies your browser as having Flash 7.
>
> It does all that and the sample sites that I've test all work. The
> Macromedia site does offer to let me download the plugin, but that's just
> because I'm running an old version.

To my knowledge the only thing we have available is 5 and 7 and 5 is
about useless, so I specified 7. This is just an attempt to get us on
the same page, and know that Flash is loaded.

>>Open the top and bottom panes of a mail window.
>
> I don't do Mozilla mail, so news will have to do.

News is OK, but it has to be SeaMonkey.

>>Scroll between two adjacent, simple, text only, messages in the top pane
>>while watching the new message appear in the bottom pane.
>>How long does it take to change from one message to the next?
>
> Under a second for a news post. This obviously includes fetch time from
> the newsserver in the switching time. It's the same if I close the flash
> window.

By Flash window I assume you mean a browser window that has Flash content.

>>What CPU are you running?
>
> It's mid-range. 3GHz P4 with 512MB PC2700 RAM.

By 3G what I am seeing might not be obvious. By just adding or removing
the Flash files from the plugins directory - and restarting SM - I add
or remove a delay in the time it takes for the next message to appear in
the lower pane.

When I started this iteration of trying to isolate the source of the
email scroll delay I started with everything new. New Hardware, new OS,
new profile, new mail files. There were to be no questions about
leftover profiles, uncompressed, huge, attachment loaded mail files......

I built SM 1.0 until it broke. It broke when I added Flash (7.0.14 &
7.0.61). At that point what had been an acceptable scroll time added a
very noticeable delay.

After I induced the delay by adding Flash I ran 1.7.12 using the same
profile. I observed that 1.7.12 with Flash has a shorter scroll time
than SM without Flash.

I tried 4 machines. I went to the oldest that I have connected;
PIII-900M. This is my "new" storage box. It inherited the old profiles
and plugins. With an inbox containing just a few one word test messages
it was taking twenty seconds to scroll from one message to the next. I
did nothing except pull out all plugins except the 7 JAVA files. Scroll
time dropped to two seconds, still long enough to peg the activity
monitor. This is with SM 1.0 - 20060131 and 1.0 Peter - 20060212.

With Moz 1.7.12 there is barely a blip in the monitor. I replaced all
the plugins, and with JAVA 1.4.2_05 and Flash 7.0.61 functional, scroll
causes barely a blip.

It appears that I can, at will, by changing the plugins, alter the mail
scroll time, from unusable to tolerable, but not good; under SM not 1.7.12.

Maybe with a fast enough machine SM is usable with Flash. The "new"
machine I used is a laptop, cost about $1700 a year ago. I don't think
that quite makes it an old relic. It has about a 2 sec delay with SM\Flash.

Ray

Return to [ 31 | March | 2006 ]