Return to [ 29 | March | 2006 ]

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 10:22:25 PST8
From: J R FOX <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: WarpVision Once Again...

Content Type: text/plain

--- Colin Campbell wrote:

> I'm trying again to get WarpVision running on my
> PCs.

> I see instructions here and there, but getting
> everything installed and
> hooked up seems a fairly daunting task.
>
> Jordan, Steven, or whomever else, can you give me
> some guidance?

Hi Colin,

I never got around to "ODIN-izing" one of my eCS
partitions, and therefore I never got to the point of
seeing what those codecs could or couldn't do. The
two people I know of who definitely did are Jerry and
Sander Nyman. Possibly also Mark, the only one of the
three who are active on this List.

I must also admit that I haven't kept up with the last
few drops of WV, including the 1.0 from Netlabs.
Soon, I hope.

In regard to the plug-in, I stopped following what was
going on with that quite some time ago, because the
reports then were that it was not working too well,
and I decided that I was content to just use WV as a
standalone. In my view, unless you can stream plenty
of content with it -- reliably -- it won't fill the
role we're used to seeing from such plug-ins on the
Dark Side.

That being said, I seriously doubt that ODIN + those
codecs will play all the stuff you throw at it. Some
.WMVs will work, some won't.

There is always the 'moving target' factor.
Right now, you can find plenty of QuickTime 7 files --
and not just the "HD" stuff they are starting to
release, which require more muscular hardware to
handle -- that your Dark Side QT 6.5x will NOT play.
At best, you'll see a blank screen and no sound, with
a moving slider bar. Now that's pretty fast
obsolescence ! As best I can tell right now, it
looks like Apple dropped the Sorenson 3 codec that
QT-6 used, in favor of H.264. Will that be a good
thing or a bad thing for WV ? If the new codec is
still proprietary (which you have to think is in
Apple's self-interest), not so good.

Jordan

Return to [ 29 | March | 2006 ]