Return to [ 03 | November | 2006 ]

Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 17:35:14 -0800
From: J R FOX <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: OS/2 Warp 4 or MCP 4.52 or eCS ???

Content Type: text/plain

http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL0606H/feature_4.html
> on the
> Intel 2200bg Mini-PCI card and Daniela Engert's
> article on the Asus WL330g
> wireless bridge.

Thanks for your comments on this, Mark. I will check
out your article. When the need originally came up
(for a Shuttle XPC portable, not a laptop, in my
case), the clearly most practical solution was a
wireless USB Nic. I read up on Prism 2 and 2.5
chipsets, but there just wasn't much -- if anything --
on the market. So I resigned myself to only
connecting on the Dark Side, which *should have* been
relatively easy. Tried a DLink. It sucked, and the
drivers caused Win-havoc, so I gave it away. Next
tried a Linksys, which was on the low side of
mediocre. The third time was the charm, using a
Hawking HWU54G, which was rather good and cost less
than half of what the other two did. Go figure.

The last time I checked (not very recently), Genmac
had nothing for it. I don't recall the chipset it
uses, but have it written down somewhere. I found
some online references to an early Alpha Linux driver,
but that's about it.

Since then, I have purchased an Asus WL330g from one
of our members, and hope to soon be using that.

> The latest GenMac wrapper driver
> (1.7 but for some
> strange reason it isn't available on the netlabs.org
> public ftp site even
> though its been out for a year now) supports a
> number of wireless cards.
> And there is a new version that very few people have
> that supports even
> more. Hopefully the new version is out soon and
> publicly available.

Yes, but not the USB wireless Nics (?). It would
still be nice to find a usable eCS driver for that
Hawking, which has done right by me so far.

Jordan

Return to [ 03 | November | 2006 ]