Return to [ 27 | December | 2007 ]

Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 12:40:43 -0800
From: "Michael Rakijas" <mrakijas@roadrunner.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Enabling International Support in eCS

Hi all!

I've looked up in a number of references (but maybe not the right one) about
enabling international support in eCS. I've read about codepages, DEVINFO
commands, GRAFTABL commands and more. I think I understand the meaning of each
but I'm not sure what the overall method is supposed to be.

Here's my issue. My daughter is learning Japanese and she will eventually be
tested in it on a computer in a Web-type application (I believe). I'll
probably get more details later but stated generally, I need for her to be able
to see Japanese characters on screen and use the keyboard to enter characters
in hopefully standard way. At least the successful display of characters can
be seen in the following web page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Enabling_East_Asian_characters

by scrolling down to the Japanese section. If the characters look like the
image of the characters, then you're doing it right. Apparently, I'm not ..
but what is the method? During installation and in anticipation, I was sure to
install international fonts (I assume this is connect to DBCS support but is
probably not enough). I tired going to the Country Palette but that doesn't
seem helpful by itself. I enabled Japanese character display in her copy of
Firefox (in Options) but that is not sufficient (although probably required).
Is it a matter of having the right CONFIG.SYS? Do I need a separate copy of
CONFIG.SYS, one for normal English operation and one for when she needs to
practice her Japanese? Any advice would be welcome and thanks in advance.

-Rocky

Return to [ 27 | December | 2007 ]