Return to [ 19 | February | 2007 ]

Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 11:43:51 -0800
From: J R FOX <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: kill pgm ?

Content Type: text/plain

--- Steven Levine wrote:

<20070216021717.45495.qmail@web81407.mail.mud.yahoo.com>,
> on 02/15/07
> at 06:17 PM, J R FOX said:
>
> >I had 4 windows open: 2 from Moz 1.7.12, 1 of ZTree
> >(full screen), and one of Command Prompt (f/s).

> Do you really mean full-screen or do you mean
> maximized?

Hi Steven,

I think I mean f/s: the app - session has the whole
screen, and it wasn't sized up from anything.

> >from inside Moz. This is where it hangs. Not just
> >the app., but the whole os. Jammed tight: No
> mouse,
> >no kb, no nuttin'. The (default installed) CAD
> popup
> >does not respond either.

> >Repeated CADs *do* force a
> >Reset.

> A hard reset or a clean reboot? If CADs get you a
> clean reboot, the KB is
> not really dead.

O.K., but the CAD popup applet, with its process
reviewing options etc., is not accessible then.

> Neither is the system, although it
> is not in a state
> that's useful for getting real work done.

That's debateable, because this state is intermittent,
and I'm doing real work on the system day after day.

> If the case were CADs do not get a clean reboot, do
> you get a response
> from Ctrl-Alt-NumLock Ctrl-Alt-NumLock?

Haven't tried that, and will have to remember to check
it out. If clean reboot = CHKDSK doesn't have to run
at next bootup, then we're nearly always talking about
clean reboots . . . albeit after an undesired WPS
lockup.

> FWIW, these kinds are hangs where the system is
> alive but not really
> responsive are typical of video subsystem failures.
> Are you running the
> most recent SNAP drivers. What kind of video card
> are you running?

This is on the Shuttle (the only computer I am using
and have been using for quite some time, until the
complete redo of my tower system with new MB etc.
etc.), which has built-in Intel Extreme 2 (?) video.
The SNAP drivers are the same ones that were installed
with eCS 1.2 GA, and which I think functioned o.k. for
a long time. This is probably some version of SNAPSE
-- how would I check ? I don't run the "Maintenance"
partition eCS (1.1) often enough to provide a useful
comparison, but maybe I should do so, to see if things
are any different over there. It has the same Moz
1.7.12, but probably a different SNAP installed.

FWIW, I don't think I ever see this problem on the
Dark Side, which also has Moz 1.7.12. Very
infrequently, it will crash on some web page it
doesn't like, and generate the Dr. Watson log. But
there is probably no Exit List kind of deal going on
over there, because the OS architecture is different ?
Anyway, just mentioned that because I don't believe
there is any hardware failure issue involved.

Being that this is an intermittent thing, it could be
very difficult to investigate at a Help Desk. But,
what would you suggest I look for ? Other than
updating SNAP, which I could certainly do.

Regards,

Jordan

Return to [ 19 | February | 2007 ]