Return to [ 06 | January | 2007 ]

Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 07:47:06 -0800
From: "Harry Motin" <hmotin@sbcglobal.net >
To: "SCOUG Help" <scoug-help@scoug.com >
Subject: SCOUG-Help: File and Print Sharing Problem

Content Type: text/plain

Hello Everyone,
All of a sudden I'm having a problem with my File and Print Sharing (FPS). It's no longer
working between my ECS machine and any Windows XP machine, when I am on the
Windows machine. Here are the symptoms:

1. When on the ECS machine:
A. Everything works fine, just as it should
B. Can use NET USE, NET VIEW, etc.
C. Can copy/move files to and from any XP machine

2. FPS works fine between any two XP machines

3. When on an XP machine and trying to FPS with the ECS machine:
A. NET USE command runs successfully. Can see the newly
created directory, Q:, from either the commandline or from Windows Explorer.

B. Can see the correct name of the file share (DESCRIBEDOCS),
using Windows explorer.

C. NET VIEW \\ECS_COMPUTER_NAME runs successfully. It
fully lists all of the shares on the ECS machine (DESCRIBEDOCS and my printer).

D. Cannot use Q:\ (DESCRIBEDOCS), however, from Windows
Explorer. Explorer does not show any of the subdirectories that should be present
under Q:\. And if I try to save a file to the top level (Q:\), I get "Network access is denied".

E. If I switch to Q: from the commandline and then use DIR, I get
"Network access is denied".

F. If I'm not in Q: on the commandline, but type "DIR Q:", I get "file
not found".

G. I unsuccessfully tried the following command from a Window
commandline:

NET USE Q:
\\ECS_COMPUTER_NAME\DESCRIBEDOCS ECS_FPS_PASSWORD

This problem happened all of a sudden. I don't know what changed. The problem is not
a corrupted NET.ACC file. I changed out that file to an earlier one, one that I know
previously worked.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
HCM

Return to [ 06 | January | 2007 ]