Return to [ 10 | June | 2007 ]

Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 13:10:53 -0700
From: J R FOX <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: WarpIn is Toast, after upgrade

Content Type: text/plain

So I updated WarpIn 1-0-10 to 1-0-15, installing the
new version without uninstalling the old. This may
not be a good idea for Moz / SM / FF, and a few other
things, but it has always worked out fine for most of
the apps I use, such as PMVIEW. In fact, I just
bumped the latter from 3.21 to 3.50: no uninstall, no
problem. And I'm pretty sure it worked in the past
for WarpIn.

IAC, WarpIn is now dead as a doornail. The desktop
object doesn't work, nor does direct invocation of any
of the WarpIn executables, including WICPM. Maybe the
registered classes got screwed up, or there is some
flaw with version 1.0.15 ? I uninstalled the whole
thing with UniMaint, let UniMaint clean up the system
INIs, rebooted, then reinstalled 1.0.15 from scratch.
It is still as dead as it was before. (Yes, I stored
a Zip of the Warpin directory files, as they were.)
So, how do I go about fixing this ? Should I install
a different version, or try to go back to 1.0.10 ?

For me, this tends to underscore the old "If it ain't
broke, why upgrade it ?" thing. You can't really get
away with that in the case of a browser, but I do get
more of an appreciation for why Peter was running 10
year old versions of some things, even though free
updates were readily available.

Jordan

Return to [ 10 | June | 2007 ]