Return to [ 10 | June | 2007 ]

Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 17:48:03 -0700
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: WarpIn is Toast, after upgrade

In <100587.71720.qm@web81403.mail.mud.yahoo.com>, on 06/10/07
at 01:10 PM, J R FOX said:

>This may
>not be a good idea for Moz / SM / FF, and a few other
>things,

It's a fine idea for these, if you follow the known rules.

>The desktop
>object doesn't work, nor does direct invocation of any
>of the WarpIn executables, including WICPM.

Did you think to check popuplog.os2?

>Maybe the
>registered classes got screwed up,

What registered classes? Are you making this stuff up? WarpIN is a PM
application, not a WPS application. There are no registered classes.

>or there is some
>flaw with version 1.0.15 ?

I'm sure 1.0.15 has flaws. Every application does.

>I uninstalled the whole
>thing with UniMaint,

Why? Unimaint does not know how to properly uninstall WarpIN.

>So, how do I go about fixing this ?

Run eCSMT and let it correct the misinstall of the older WarpIN by the eCS
installer. This problem occurs so often, that I suspect it applies to you
as well. If you don't want to run eCSMT, hunt down all the copies of
wpirtl.dll and warpin.exe that eCS spewed about and make them go away.

>For me, this tends to underscore the old "If it ain't
>broke, why upgrade it ?" thing.

This much is true. Of course, several newly released apps can not be
installed with anything less than 1.0.14 or so.

>You can't really get
>away with that in the case of a browser,

Sure you can. Every day I see questions from folks running the 1.7.x
series.

>but I do get
>more of an appreciation for why Peter was running 10
>year old versions of some things, even though free
>updates were readily available.

Peter? Oh you mean the guy whose WPS goes belly up every other week or
so. Of course, this is not really a problem for him since he is
essentially a command line user. He uses OS/2 like DesqView on steriods
and there's nothing wrong with this. I doubt you would survive for long
this way.

Steven

Return to [ 10 | June | 2007 ]