Return to [ 21 | June | 2007 ]

Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 14:30:34 -0700
From: Ray Davison <raydav@charter.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: This & that, from 6-19-02 meeting

Content Type: text/plain

J R FOX wrote:

> I think I can guess what Steven will say about that,
> or at least HOW he will say it (tone). But, FWIW, I
> agree with you. Somewhere around the time that 1.2
> went GA, or maybe even before, there was some talk
> about a wide distribution of the demo CD, and of a
> venture to make eCS available as a pre-load on
> inexpensive, low-end PCs, from a mass-market retailer
> . . . sort of like the talk about someone doing that
> with Lindows earlier, which also came to naught.

I ran the demo CD when it came out. I was quite impressed. Then I
tried to install the real thing.......

> But, even if Serenity could arrange a deal like this,
> I'd have to consider that a pipe dream. Because eCS
> is not truly ready for Prime Time, yet. Sure, there
> have been some real improvements in the installer, and
> in a number of usability issues and more contemporary
> features. Enough to be kind of encouraging or even
> surprising. Still not enough to win new adherents,
> though. For that to happen, things -- hardware &
> drivers & apps -- will just have to work straightaway,
> transparently and without a second thought, as they
> generally do on the Dark Side. (To be fair about it,
> I don't know that any flavor of Linux has achieved
> this yet, either.) And of course, I recognize that
> one cannot really compare the sort of resources that
> are routinely applied on the DS, vs. what is available
> everywhere else, including Mac-land.) Nevertheless.

We do have the edge on portability. Historically I have been able to
pull a boot drive out of one machine and plug it into another and it
just works - well, maybe not USB. I am currently trying to build a
P4M800PRO-M LGA775 - that is not really a socket, just pins sticking up
off the board. W4 & eCS didn't mind the move, tho W4 is unstable and I
have crashed eCS a couple times. W2K had to reinstall all the drivers
but it did that without me having to take it by the hand. I did buy
SNAP for W2K, but I often forget to use it. W98SE lost it's mind, it
couldn't even find the CD, and when I got it to do that it couldn't read
it. I keep 98SE as a maintenance partition for W2K. It shares C with
FREEDOS.

> without having to flag down a Dark Side
> counterpart to Steven.

And good luck with that. The only place I can get Win help is on the
OS/2 lists.

> It becomes a question of how
> hard do you want to let things be for people. You
> need a certain level of dedication to go another way.

We are at hobby level.

>>Oh, and when I delete jjscdrom, I loose optical
>>support.
>
> I had jjs on my tower setup. Wasn't that intended for
> SCSI ?

I don't know. I have forgotten why I started using it. What is the
normal driver?

Ray

Return to [ 21 | June | 2007 ]