Return to [ 21 | June | 2007 ]

Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 12:31:40 -0700
From: J R FOX <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: This & that, from 6-19-02 meeting

Content Type: text/plain

--- Ray Davison wrote:

> "You", not me, but whoever packaged eCS. Do we have
> any hope of eCS
> ever working out-of-the-box, or is it to forever be
> fiddle ware? You
> might legitimately say I should know all this stuff.
> But is eCS never
> to be useful for mear mortals?

> My comparison is W2K, six years old, we can't even
> compete with that. I
> have the "Shootout in Texas", OS/2 vrs NT, VHS. I
> am not sure we would
> win that dual today.

I think I can guess what Steven will say about that,
or at least HOW he will say it (tone). But, FWIW, I
agree with you. Somewhere around the time that 1.2
went GA, or maybe even before, there was some talk
about a wide distribution of the demo CD, and of a
venture to make eCS available as a pre-load on
inexpensive, low-end PCs, from a mass-market retailer
. . . sort of like the talk about someone doing that
with Lindows earlier, which also came to naught.

But, even if Serenity could arrange a deal like this,
I'd have to consider that a pipe dream. Because eCS
is not truly ready for Prime Time, yet. Sure, there
have been some real improvements in the installer, and
in a number of usability issues and more contemporary
features. Enough to be kind of encouraging or even
surprising. Still not enough to win new adherents,
though. For that to happen, things -- hardware &
drivers & apps -- will just have to work straightaway,
transparently and without a second thought, as they
generally do on the Dark Side. (To be fair about it,
I don't know that any flavor of Linux has achieved
this yet, either.) And of course, I recognize that
one cannot really compare the sort of resources that
are routinely applied on the DS, vs. what is available
everywhere else, including Mac-land.) Nevertheless.

I connect or install new stuff into W2K every week. I
may not have much grasp on how to best use it
effectively right away, but it normally works as
advertised. I don't have to jump through any flaming
hoops, and pertinent Help is most often readily
available, without having to flag down a Dark Side
counterpart to Steven. It becomes a question of how
hard do you want to let things be for people. You
need a certain level of dedication to go another way.

> Oh, and when I delete jjscdrom, I loose optical
> support.

I had jjs on my tower setup. Wasn't that intended for
SCSI ?

Jordan

Return to [ 21 | June | 2007 ]