Return to [ 25 | October | 2007 ]

Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 19:03:23 -0700
From: Ray Davison <raydav@charter.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: eCS, LVM, drives

Content Type: text/plain

J R FOX wrote:

> Hope all is o.k. out in your direction.

We should be OK.

> FAT32 partitions have *always* required a special driver to access,
> whether from W4 or eCS.

Both HPFS and FAT32 have an IFS. It looks like equal support, but I
have eCS seeing HPFS without mounting, but not FAT32.

> And even _that_ might not work: with my interleaved partition
> arrangement, no rev of the driver I ever tried could see anything --
> perhaps because it just could not "jump over" intervening NTFS (or
> whatever) partitions, with its periscope.

I have three FAT16, then an HPFS, then four FAT32, and then three HPFS
on a second drive. They all work.

> I have pretty much limited my use of USB removables for OS/2 down to
> *certain* memory sticks or camera flashcards.

All I have is one stick and a four bay mem reader. They work OK.

> Don't see why you can't switch to eCS, as your exclusive flavor of
> OS/2. I only still have W4 on the tower, which I haven't booted in
> many months. I will need to go there again to be reminded of
> anything it might offer that eCS does not. (There must be
> *something*, but I can't think of it now.)

Today I replaced the MB in my storage box. It has four PATA HDDs, a CD,
a ZIP, and two floppies, all in the front panel. W4 works OK. eCS acts
like a flaky mouse driver. But I think they are both running AMOUSE.

> Having the other OSes you mention should not be a problem. Are they
> all together on the same HDD (as I've always done . . . even though
> many IT pros claim this is simply courting disaster), or are they
> parceled out amongst your various drive trays ?

All my working machines have two HDDs. I run FreeDOS, W2K and OS/2.
All OSs and normal data is on the first drive. That drive is currently
80G. The second drive I call "stuff"; things that don't have any
day-to-day use or maybe large graphic files. That drive is currently
200G. Those drives just happened to be the most cost effective size at
the time I acquired them.

Many IT pros huh? I always make all partitions accessible to every OS
if possible. The only time I ever had a problem was one time I let a
Win disk utility mess with an OS/2 boot partition.

> 98SE is pretty useless these days, unless you like to run certain
> games.

It will run SCANDISK.

>> I now have a system I am going to live with - at least for now. It
>> boots FreeDOS, W4, eCS and W2K. I have given up getting W4 or eCS
>> to see the same drive letters as DOS.
>
> I've long managed to maintain a consistent drive lettering scheme,
> although (clearly) DOS is not going to see anything that is not
> FAT-16. But DOS won't see anything past the 8G mark anyway. (Or is
> FreeDOS different in these regards ?)

FAT32 has been native in DRDOS and FreeDOS for a couple years. I have a
500G drive with five 100G FAT32 partitions. FreeDOS can write to all
partitions.

>> For the DOS apps I am sharing I have created multiple setup files
>> that I switch in the batch file that runs the program.
>
> I don't quite grasp where this is needed.

Apps go looking for files. If you run the same app from two OSs, and
they see different drive letters, the app cannot find the files.

>> It boots with Acronis V5, has no LVM, and eCS uses danidasd.dmd.
>
> We should thank you for i.d.'ing Acronis (quite some time ago) as the
> worthy successor to the System Cmdr. versions that still respected
> OS/2. In my case, I've been either lazy or content to just use BM,
> which passes the baton on to the W32 boot loader menu, if I happen to
> be booting W2K. I do have LVM enabled for all but the NTFS
> partitions.

My only real primary is C: DOS. All other OSs are on a single extended.
Acronis boots them all clean. However, I have not been able to boot
eCS if there is a FAT32 partition in front of it.

I find it easier to build and maintain everything if I disable LVM. For
me, it is a solution looking for a problem. Jan was nice enough to give
us a button to clean it off the drive.

Ray

Return to [ 25 | October | 2007 ]