Return to [ 25 | October | 2007 ]

Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 11:56:16 -0700
From: J R FOX <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: eCS, LVM, drives

Content Type: text/plain

--- Ray Davison wrote:

> Not quite. Without "mounting" anything, eCS sees
> all FAT16, presumably
> because that is native in OS/2. It sees all HPFS.
> It does not see
> FAT32, although FAT32 seems to have the same
> support as HPFS in config.sys.

Hi Ray,

Hope all is o.k. out in your direction.

FAT32 partitions have *always* required a special
driver to access, whether from W4 or eCS. And even
_that_ might not work: with my interleaved partition
arrangement, no rev of the driver I ever tried could
see anything -- perhaps because it just could not
"jump over" intervening NTFS (or whatever) partitions,
with its periscope.

> But, in eCS, BM, LVM and how USB creates - and
> whether it deletes -
> removables objects - seem to be interrelated. And >
I doubt that I will
> ever understand it.

I have pretty much limited my use of USB removables
for OS/2 down to *certain* memory sticks or camera
flashcards. Others are just flaky. Forget about any
of those that -- like the SanDisk U3 type -- insist on
structuring themselves as two or more drives, one of
the two being a pseudo-CD or pretend HDD. Even with
the ones that work o.k., you still run into that
annoying creation-of-EA DATA.SF-and-WP ROOT.SF-
files issue. Until there is some easy and foolproof
utility to zap those off safely, this remains a pain
in the rear. It is just far, far easier to do most of
your removable USB stuff on the Dark Side --
particularly with the hard drives. (Or I have used
the FreeDOS DFSEE from CD boot there . . . but that
doesn't give you what ZTREE does, when it comes to
file mgr. type chores.)

> I have been trying for about
> two years to see if I
> could replace W4 with eCS. If all I ran was eCS
> there would be no
> issue. But I want/need to run DOS, W2K and
> OS/2-eCS
> - plus maybe W98SE
> for maintenance. And share some apps and data
> between OSs.

Don't see why you can't switch to eCS, as your
exclusive flavor of OS/2. I only still have W4 on the
tower, which I haven't booted in many months. I will
need to go there again to be reminded of anything it
might offer that eCS does not. (There must be
*something*, but I can't think of it now.)

Having the other OSes you mention should not be a
problem. Are they all together on the same HDD (as
I've always done . . . even though many IT pros claim
this is simply courting disaster), or are they
parceled out amongst your various drive trays ?

98SE is pretty useless these days, unless you like to
run certain games.

> I now have a system I am going to live with - at
> least for now. It
> boots FreeDOS, W4, eCS and W2K. I have given up
> getting W4 or eCS to
> see the same drive letters as DOS.

I've long managed to maintain a consistent drive
lettering scheme, although (clearly) DOS is not going
to see anything that is not FAT-16. But DOS won't see
anything past the 8G mark anyway. (Or is FreeDOS
different in these regards ?) So those of us who
insist on keeping DOS around -- for whatever reasons
-- will just have to treat it as a special case.

> For the DOS apps
> I am sharing I have
> created multiple setup files that I switch in the
> batch file that runs
> the program.

I don't quite grasp where this is needed.

> It boots with Acronis V5, has no LVM, and eCS uses
> danidasd.dmd.

We should thank you for i.d.'ing Acronis (quite some
time ago) as the worthy successor to the System Cmdr.
versions that still respected OS/2. In my case, I've
been either lazy or content to just use BM, which
passes the baton on to the W32 boot loader menu, if I
happen to be booting W2K. I do have LVM enabled for
all but the NTFS partitions.

Jordan

Return to [ 25 | October | 2007 ]