Return to [ 09 | October | 2007 ]

Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 12:35:22 -0700
From: J R FOX <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: SeaMonkey Problem - Solved?

Content Type: text/plain

--- Ray Davison wrote:

> If you are using this - or equivalent - one set of
> profiles and plugins
> control all installations of MOZ\SM\FF\TB
> SET MOZILLA_HOME=X:\MOZPROFILES
> SET MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=X:\MOZPROFILES\PLUGINS

I am.

> You do have to run Flash install in the plugins
> directory.

I did. Still seeing some Flash content, and some
block screens put up by FlashBlock. Yet there seems
to be no trace of Flash reported under Plugins;
FlashBlock and Mnenhy have just vanished. I still see
the few other Extensions that were installed. Very
strange.

> I have never used Flash block. My concern has been
> how to get it to
> work, not how to stop it.

It had worked for me, other than in trying to enter
exception sites for it, which were always ignored.

> > Were you saying that there is simply some
> > setting (user-adjustable) where SM reports the
> Flash
> > version, just as UserAgent can fib for you that
> you
> > are supposedly running Windows ?
>
> Not "user -adjustable", hard coded, but editable.

Where and how do you edit this ? (I wouldn't want to
break an .Exe or .DLL.)

> > backdoor nasties that any site can throw at you

> What do you disagree with?

Like I said, security and virtual impunity. I just
now got something I see occasionally: a bogus Ebay
auction response, supposedly pertaining to some
auction I participated in. But you can tell right
away that the Ebay auction # must be from *years* ago,
and they even show an auction closing date from May of
this year. (Just HOW stupid *are* these people, and
how stupid do they think we must be ?) Anyway, if you
clicked on the response link in Windoze, I'm sure it
would install some Trojan backdoor on your system.
But you can be as curious as you like, doing this from
OS/2.

Jordan

Return to [ 09 | October | 2007 ]