Return to [ 08 | October | 2007 ]

Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 11:08:16 -0700
From: J R FOX <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: SeaMonkey Problem - Solved?

Content Type: text/plain

Now this is really strange. I'm certain I had the
Innotek V7 installed for each eCS profile -- or is it
installed for *SM itself*, and just applies to all
profiles ? -- and I was accustomed to seeing it listed
in About:Plugins. Yet when I go there now, I'm not
seeing it listed at all. What I take to be Flash
animations still displays at quite a few websites.
Could it be that the Adblock or Flashblock extensions
are hiding it or suppressing its appearance in the
About:Plugins list ? I will also take a look under
Mnenhy, just in case, but I had thought that
Flashblock was simply a manual On/Off switch for
whatever Flash content you encountered, and then you
made decisions to accept or reject it on a
case-by-case basis.

--- Ray Davison wrote:

> The last thing I am aware of is 7r63. "v9" only
> helps on those pages
> that insist on V9 even though it is still V7.

I was going to About:Plugins to double check the
version #, but may have to boot the eCS 1.1 partition
to do that. Were you saying that there is simply some
setting (user-adjustable) where SM reports the Flash
version, just as UserAgent can fib for you that you
are supposedly running Windows ?

> OS/2 is becoming more obsolete for
> browsing all the time.
> Sites are wanting Shockwave besides JAVA and Flash.
> So I run the
> current SM under W2K.

I disagree with you, if only due to the fact that
browsing with OS/2 still eliminates virtually ALL of
your security issues. Under OS/2, you can walk down
the most dangerous alleys of cyberspace with no
worries, because there are no malware, spyware, or
backdoor nasties that any site can throw at you and
have it stick. But you are partially right in that
Innotek or Serenity or *someone* should elevate the
priority of this page-media-content stuff (as was done
in a roundabout way for PDF with Lucide, although I'm
not aware of Lucide being plugin-able for the
browser), before we become as browsing useless as you
suggest.

Jordan

Return to [ 08 | October | 2007 ]