Return to [ 26 | October | 2007 ]

Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 19:34:23 -0700
From: Ray Davison <raydav@charter.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: eCS, LVM, drives

Content Type: text/plain

J R FOX wrote:
> --- Ray Davison wrote:
>
>> Many IT pros huh? I always make all partitions
>> accessible to every OS
>> if possible. The only time I ever had a problem was
>> one time I let a
>> Win disk utility mess with an OS/2 boot partition.
>
> Yes, they claim that multi-OS on the same drive is a
> sure path to perdition, sooner or later -- bound to
> trash boot records & partition tables, wipe out data
> or make it inaccessible, and thereby hose whatever is
> on the drive. (And system builders naturally don't
> want to have to support this, either.) This belies my
> own experience of the past 10 years or so, but then
> I'm pretty careful. Certainly, Windoze or Linux (via
> things like Grub or Lilo ?) offer plenty of such
> hazards to the unwary and the clueless. I did lose
> two NT-4 partitions on the tower, a few years ago,
> trashed by applying MS service packs.

People building systems for others want to push it out the door and
never see it again. Often when they say it cannot be done it just means
they don't want to do it.

I got serious about OS/2 when W4 came out. I already mentioned the one
time I had a problem that had something to do with multiple OSs. But
because of other things I have lost partition tables and boot records.
I have probably caused trouble using a combination of Partition Magic
and DFSee. With Acronis or probably any serious boot utility recreating
the boot record - and the boot menu - is trivial. DFSee saves and
restores partition tables. I think the scare stories are all FUD.

>>> 98SE is pretty useless these days, unless you like
>> to run certain
>>> games.
>
>> It will run SCANDISK.
>
> Which is useful for _what_, outside of the W98
> environs ?

I have had it fix FAT32 partitions when nothing else would. I think I
have even gotten an error in OS/2 that said use SCANDISK.

>>> FAT-16. But DOS won't see anything past the 8G
>> mark anyway. (Or is
>>> FreeDOS different in these regards ?)
>
>> FAT32 has been native in DRDOS and FreeDOS for a
>> couple years. I have a
>> 500G drive with five 100G FAT32 partitions. FreeDOS
>> can write to all
>> partitions.
>
> Then it sounds like they must have done something
> about seeing beyond the 8G point, as well.

I have been using HPFS for storage and now I don't know why. I have
been able to make much larger partitions with FAT32. I once made a 125G
HPFS partition, or at lest it looked like one. I couldn't access it. I
just had DFSee create and format a 500G drive as a single FAT32
extended. It seemed to work. I have since broke it into three
partitions. That is now in my storage box. And Win and DOS can now use
it. As for JFS, we have never been introduced.

Ray

Return to [ 26 | October | 2007 ]