Return to [ 28 | October | 2007 ]

Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 18:25:45 -0700
From: "Jon Harrison" <jharrison@seadog.reno.nv.us >
To: < "scoug-help@scoug.com" > scoug-help@scoug.com > , "SYNass i-lists" <i-lists@synass.net >
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Preparing new HDD for (MORE than ) eCS -- boot

Content Type: text/plain

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 02:05:44 -0700, SYNass i-lists wrote:

>2 more questions are regarding Linux:
>
>a) What partitioning is better than a single ext3+swap configuration ?
>b1) What about partitioning the whole HDD w/eCS 2.0 Maintenance LVM ??
>b2) Shall I empty the whole HDD and do a complete LVM partitioning ???
>
>Your advice and recommendations are hot awaited here
>at the jungle border in Malaysia ;-)
>Cheers, svobi

Svobi:

The only thing I might add to the other suggestions is that you
have to be careful when you install Linux. The few distro's I've
played with all require custom or advanced install. The easy
install puts lilo or whatever flavor of boot manager it is
installing in the MBR and overwrites whatever was there (usually
boot manager).

You can install lilo (or whatever Ubuntu is using for a
bootmanager) in the linux partition and then you can add an entry
to IBM's bootmanager for Ubuntu. The problem with using the
advanced install is it's a lot more complicated if you don't know
what you are doing. One alternative is to do the easy install
first and see how it all goes and what is installed, then reformat
and after installing other OS's install Ubuntu in advanced mode and
then make proper selections based on having observed what easy
install does.

Are you in KL? I've sailed into Port Kelang many times and taken
the train to KL a few times. You live in a really beautiful
country and I hope to go back there some day to see Malaka and some
other places. I also have been to Penang, long ago, before the
bridge was built over to Butterworth.

Good luck w/ Ubuntu, I couldn't make it work on my system.
Jon

Return to [ 28 | October | 2007 ]