Return to [ 20 | September | 2007 ]

Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 14:12:51 -0700
From: Jizba <jizba@verizon.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Printer problems

Content Type: text/plain

Steven Levine wrote:
> In <46F2006B.9010104@verizon.net>, on 09/19/07
> at 09:59 PM, Jizba said:
>
> Hi,
>

>> From that time nothing has worked.
>>

> As a scientist, you should know nothing covers a lot of territory.

You are absolutely right; "nothing" does cover a lot
of territory. I have continued to try things. For example
the User's Manual also seems to apply to (LQ?)1070, so
I tried to install LQ1070, but again without success.
Then I used the Enhanced Editor to write a paragraph.
When the print button was pressed, the printer DID
print out the paragraph. At that point I read your
e-mail and tried the "copy \config.sys lpt1". It too
worked printing two pages of config.sys

>> Despite
>> installing LQ570 (it is on the eCS list of
>> printers) and setting it up for my APL2
>> applications,

I had assumed that the list of printers displayed when
trying to install a printer implied that the installation
would generally produce good printing --that is if
the installed printer software matched the actual
printer connected to the PC.

> How is this relevant? Since you printed a page via the browser, you must
> have had the driver installed and working before you started to encounter
> trouble. True?

True
> The first thing I would do is isolate the source of the problem.
>
> Can I assume that you printed another test page and this still works?

I have not yet tried another printer test.
> If so, did you try a test print from the OS/2 command line? If not, try
>
> copy \config.sys lpt1

With success in printing the config.sys (although I
will have to make some adjustments regarding the
page layout and print intensity).
> Does this result in a print out? If not, there's a problem with the
> printer or the cable.
>
> If a command line print works, check the printer object. Open the object.
> Check for stuck print jobs. Open the object properties notebook. Make
> sure that that printer port is set correctly and so on.

I have checked the printer object several times, but
I also find that there are several ways to do that. So
I try to verify that all methods contain the same info.
> BTW, did you shred to printer object for the dead printer? Are you sure
> it's really gone?

I deleted the printer directory and followed by installing
LQ570. When clicking on printer properties, only
the LQ570 shows up, but I still saw the old printer
object displayed; unfortunately I do not recall the
circumstances.
> More later,
>
> Steven

So progress is slow but there is improvement.

Return to [ 20 | September | 2007 ]