Return to [ 12 | October | 2002 ]

Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 11:18:28 PST7
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: BOOTOS2 diskettes & eCS

Steven replied:

> Makes sense that it would fail. You are trying to stuff about 10MB of
> files on 2 diskettes. Keep it simple and try:
>
> bootos2 source=P:\BootECS\Required target=A: format:fat ga400
>
> It will be tight, but it should fit.

O.K., I'll try it the way you suggest.

> >One other thing is that I deliberately fashioned a pared-down Config.Sys
> >specifically for this set, and placed it in the "Required" directory
> >where it's supposed to go, yet BOOTOS2 ignored it, insisting on putting
> >all sorts of unnecessary stuff (like all the Internet networking stuff)
> >into a large Config.Sys on Disk 1. That never happened when I made these
> >sets for W3 or W4.
>
> The moral here is don't do that. Don't try to break the rules until you
> have success following the rules.

Well, I naturally tried to do it the way I was familiar with, which had worked pretty well for me (with earlier BootOS2 versions, the last time apparently using
v. 9.17) in W3, and later W4. I don't know if the "rules" changed along the way, but obviously this no longer yields a satisfactory result.
And the bottom line is, I'm probably going to have to futz with the disk contents and edit Config.Sys for this set, no matter what. It would be much easier if
we did not have the space constraints, and could use other bootable / removeable media for this, such as CD.

Jordan

Return to [ 12 | October | 2002 ]